1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on a Remy 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BadKarma62, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadKarma62

BadKarma62 TS Member

I got hooked!!! New trapshooter.

I shoot a O/U for Sporting and 5 Stand and don't want to change it.
    So I want to build a Trap only 870, since I have to do this on a budget. I've had 870's before and truly adore that shotgun.

Question 1:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to avoid the big chamber receivers and barrels. Correct? 2 3/4" only right? No Express or Magnums. Wingmaster only.

Question 2:
    Did Remington ever offer a barrel over 30"?
    I don't think they ever did, but I'm not positively sure.

The mission plan is for a custom paint job on the stock and forearm, adjustable butt and comb and a custom adjustable high rib. And still trying to figure out the best way to add a palm swell that will stay in place.

I know there are some who will tell me to save the money and buy a single, but I'm a bit hard headed and like to walk my own path. And, I just like makin' powder!!!!!

Thanks y'all.

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

1)I don't think the chamber size makes any difference.

2)I don't believe they did. "AveragEd" would know.

I wouldn't be too concerned with what type of 870 you buy if you are going to have all that work done to it. Stock and rib type won't matter because you are going to get adj comb/rib and a paint job. Just try and find a nice old wingmaster.

I am an 870 fan and have always wanted to do what you describe. The biggest reason I haven't is that you will lose money on the deal if you ever go to sell it.

Nick

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I own a factory 34"

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

There were 34" and I believe, 32" barrels offered as options. I had a 34 but couldn't swing it. Chamber length is relatively unimportant. Get a trap barrel, either fixed or remchoke, add moleskin to the comb to raise your head a little, or do as some of us did and get a Boyd's trap stock.

I've got a Boyd's stock and forend, almost unused, I'd sell for 140, shipping to lower included. I think it is called nutmeg laminate. Too straight for me and I shoot TBs and TCs.

5. BadKarma62

BadKarma62 TS Member

Thanks everyone. And thanks for the offer Savage, but since I'm doing this on a budget, I'll use the existing stock and add a adj. comb.

And I'm not worried about the resale value, the paint job will be personalized so selling it is out.

For now, the only this I'm going to farm out is any future barrel work and maybe a trigger job, but just to clean out any creep that is bound to be there.

the only thing I was worried about was the chambers, I had heard that a 3" chamber can cause performance issues with the shot. But it may be to minor to be noticed. But then it wouldn't be the first time I over thought something!!!

Thanks.

6. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

I just bought a combo set from Ken Rucker's Speedwork business. It has a Jack West adjustable comb stock, the Bumpbuster recoil device, and a foreend. The price was around high 200's? The buttstock/foreend are black plastic of course but it looks promising. Will let you know when I get it put together. Mine is a very old 12 gauge with a fixed mod choke so it should be good for most things....especially those pesky skeet thingies.

7. BadKarma62

BadKarma62 TS Member

Well, I didn't win the Lottery, but I'm almost as happy!!!

Short story, I went to an auction yesterday after a barrel for my Contender and ended up with a "broken" O/U Spanish shotgun. Took it to a gunsmith to have it looked at and found that it needed a drift pin. $10 and 15 mins. later I had a VERY nice $500 shotgun. While I was waiting guess what I found in the "For Sale" rack? Yep, a sweet looking 870 with a.........wait for it........30" Full barrel!!!!!!

A little talkin and some dealing, and I now have, exactly what I was lookin for.

It's almost in pristine condition and in MUCH better shape than I had hoped to start with. The stock is almost too pretty to paint, so I may have to find an alternative.

Gonna give her a trial run today just to see how she shoots. ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BadKarma62

BadKarma62 TS Member

Yep, I'm pretty jazzed.

9. RJ

RJ TS Member

I also am an 870 Lover!! I have found that by checking out Pawn Shops You can get pretty good deals providing you are not afraid to dicker & deal with these folks. Got a nice one here awhile back (870 Wingmaster) for about $145.00. The thing is with this one it had a plain hunting barrel on it. didn't matter found a Vented ribbed one on this sight and had the center beed put on it and shot some fairly good 16'scores with it. Got another one just a week ago. $130.00. All three of these barrels are 28 Mods, No choke tubes, standard Mod barrels. It's going as my main shooter and the first one will be my back up. Got an 1100 the same way. A little more money for them but not like paying full cost on a new one or even a slightluy used one.

You have to look em over very close and run the action on em and check them out for several other things like heavy wear on the mag tube and dents & scratches. Both action bars are ok. I want one more basicly for parts. Won't care how the outside is just as long as the innerts are working. These Pawn Shops seem to want to get something sold because of the inventory that is commin in or what ever. But they will deal. Both of those 870's they wanted $190.00 apiece for them. Different shops by the way. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

10. BadKarma62

BadKarma62 TS Member

Getting an 870 back in the arsenal is like pulling on an old broken-in pair of jeans, it just feels right!! I had forgotten how much I love these old workhorses. I may be retiring my old Winny 1400 Home Defense gun and searching for an 870 to take it's place.

Well, I sent the barrel off this morning for choke tubes and forcing cone work. I also ordered the stock. On my Dr's advice, I used to shoot .22LR benchrest with him, I ordered a thumbhole laminate stock from Boyds. I'm a sysadmin and have developed a mild case of Carpal Tunnel and he advised that the wrist position would be better for me, so the Paint plan may be scrapped, will have to see the stock first though.

Now I'm off to the Dentist for major pain!!!!!

11. bt994ever

bt994ever TS Member

I'm gonna stick with what I heard down here in TN.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."

12. BadKarma62

BadKarma62 TS Member

I agree. "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."

But shouldn't the Indian use every chance to swing the odds in his favor?

If you were shooting at the Grand, would you shoot your BT99 or a box stock Mossberg Pump?

All done, I'll have about $500 in this 870. Some of us can't afford a $1500 or higher shotgun. But then again, it's not the shotgun, huh?

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Hey Badkarma62, I used to shoot a 870 for trap as well. I found that if you put like 11 oz. of weight in the rear stock hole and a 6 oz. end cap on the forend the gun has just the right weight and balance to make it a good target gun. I still needed the adj. comb and butt plate so I upgraded when my I needed to change, but I still have it. Now you now what to do if you find the gun a little to light over the next few months of shooting it. Breake-m all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.