1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help on 7/8 oz. load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1939 gunner, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1939 gunner

1939 gunner Member

i am trying to make up a 7/8 load using gunclub hulls,and cb100-12 wads but not getting a good crimp. tried adjusting loader but it seems like i do not have enough volume,maybe needs some sort of filler or something.can some one help? thanks wade ps read somewhere someone putting a spent primer in with the shot.want this hurt barrei or open a hole in the pattern?

2. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

you need 7/8 oz wads and adjust the wad seat.

3. shootsome

shootsome Member

Win 12L wads or the Clay Buster clone work well in Rem hulls. I personally don't think 7/8 oz of lead make a very good Trap load.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the Gun Club hulls are tapered or not? If they are, the Winchester grey wad or CB0178 should work fine. If they are straight-wall, I think you are out of luck.

Neil

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Remington Gun Club hulls are tapered. They load similar to Remington STS and Winchester AA (old style) hulls.

Jim Skeel

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Neil,

Gunclubs are the same dimensions as STS and all the other Remington hulls. That is one nice thing about the Remmy hulls.

ss

7. Neil Winston

Thanks Jim and short; in that case, either the WW Grey wad or a Federal 12SO should work fine either slower:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

or faster:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Neil

8. ilive4skeet

ilive4skeet TS Member

Try the CB 4100-12 wads. My MEC loads a great 7/8 oz loads with these wads. I only load Remington hulls. Nobel Sport Primers, 18 gr of Promo. I shoot these loads for 16 yard trap and skeet. They work great. Mike Mates

9. 1939 gunner

1939 gunner Member

thanks alot guys for your help. wade

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I just put a small piece of styrofoam( packing peanut) in the bottom of the shotcup (i use a single stage Pacific 266) works well for me & adds "0"weight to your payload so no changes in data are needed. this is just about the same concept as the no longer made LAGE wad of the 60s & 70s.. Ross

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Shooysome: Before you look down your nose with disapproval of 7/8 oz loads, consider what the bunker shooters are using now. When I shot bunker, we used 1 1/4 oz and todays scores are as good if not better then at that time. It's the indian not the arrow! Neil's charts above prove their effectivness. If your on 'em, you get 'em!

Big Jack

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

One more vote for 12SO. 17.0 of titewad makes an escellent shell.

HM

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Big Jack; not only do I rely on 7/8 oz loads, usually #9s, for all skeet, most 5 stand, at least 1/2 of the sporting birds, and all 16 yard trap shots but I converted a highly skilled sporting buddy with them and he's sold for life. He just scored the first 24/25 posted at a difficult 5 stand at our club that's been available for several months. He is particularly sensitive to recoil and these loads will extend his pleasure many years. Ink balls are ink balls I reckon......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Down Range XXL (pink) is a very good wad for 7/8 Oz loads in the Remington hulls. This wad loads alot better than the grey winchester wad in my experience. CLAYS, Red Dot and PROMO, 700x are all good powder choices for this combo.

I shoot quite a few of these lightweights for singles practice because they are cheap to make and have little recoil. But on gameday I take 1 Oz shells to the line for singles & doubles and 1 1/8 OZ loads for HC.

15. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I'll also vote for the Downrange pink wad for 7/8 oz. loads in the GC hulls. These light loads can be a bit tricky in cold weather, but sticking to a fast-burning powder gets the best results and burns fairly clean as well. My favorite 1200 fps load (I like magnum 8.5's) right from the Alliant website data is:

GC hull / 7/8 oz. shot / 16.5 gr. Red Dot / DR XXL pink wad / Rem.209P primer

.......Rick

16. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I adjusted the crimp screw out maybe 1 turn

great crimps just not super deep

These loads brought me back into shotguns

I typ use 17 of red, 700x or promo, gun clubs or old style AA's and a CB 1 oz wad for tapered hulls velo is 1250 ish

Low pressure

I found the 16 to 16.5 dropped off greatly in velo hence their troubles in cold weather. They are just to low in pressure

regards

17. shootsome

shootsome Member

If 7/8 oz loads are so great why don't Kiner, Campbell jr, Marshall and all the other Big Dogs shoot 1-1/8 loads?

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Because they're confident with what they ARE using and many of us are just as confident with light loads. Then, no one wants to talk you into using the light loads nor demand that you read and re-read this or similar posts if they aren't what you are confident with. No flame, just the answer to your quiz.....do breakemall....Bob Dodd

19. Neil Winston

The pellet-density in the center of the pattern with 7/8 oz. loads is fine as long as you don't shoot too far back (or use smaller shot). They just require more accuracy with 7 1/2's or 8's, that's all. Many think that the reduced recoil lets them shoot so much better that the need for more accuracy is more than compensated for.

I shot a thousand or so for the first shot in doubles but never found it was a big deal - or really any different - either way.

Neil

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, Neil, there is a pretty significant "deal" in the unit cost for shot alone multiplied by 25/box or by 500/case, eh? How's the MAC - in the middle of some upgrading here.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cb12so