1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help on 5

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wiscokid, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiscokid

wiscokid TS Member

Hey all. I am fairly new to trap and am have a terrible time with hard rights on station 5 (I am right-handed). Should I be seeing some daylight between the barrel and the bird or swing faster and shoot when I cover it. I would like to learn the best technique to begin with to avoid any bad habits. Also, I am shooting a field grade 870. Thanks, Wisco.

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

By the way you ask about daylight between the barrel and the bird or swinging faster and shooting the bird as the barrel covers the bird your setting yourself up to miss the bird. Get a smidge or so in front of the bird and BLAMMO ... it will be a puff of broken shards.

At least that is what I do.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Wisco;

Lumper offers good advice. You shoot at a point ahead of targets where they will be when the pattern arrives. I would not recommend rushing your swing.

Try to focus on the point where the target will be and not on the target itself. Doing that is a bit of a challenge but it can be mastered with practice.
    Remember, your lead is both slightly above and in front of targets.

You might also try a stance that involves positioning your feet so a line drawn across your toes will be parallel to a line down the center of station 5 from the 16 to the 27 yard line. This stance can be used on all stations.

A common mistake from station 5 is swing the gun with your arms rather than body rotation at the waist and hips. There is a tendency to move the gun away from the cheek, which assures a lost targets resulting from shooting behind them.

Rollin

4. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

What the lumper said works for me. Rollin you gave good sound advise also. The hard angles don't cause me any trouble, it's that occasional looks to be a straightaway that is actually a soft angle, The second I pull the trigger, I ask myself why did you do that. Alas I have given myself no real good answer, other than a brain fizzle. That target has cost me some real scores.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Email me and I will send you several gun hold photos done in PowerPoing by our own Jim Forsbach.

These set you up to take advantage of gun hold, target flights, and eye holds. This should help you on 5.

Whiz

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Common mistakes for righties on 5 are: 1. swinging with the arms rather than rotating like the turret on a tank; 2. shoving the gun off your cheek (part of #1); and, 3. rolling the shoulders so that the right shoulder drops while the left rises. All caused by failing to properly rotate the upper body from the waist. If you try real hard, you can combine all 3 at once and really frustrate yourself.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"You might also try a stance that involves positioning your feet so a line drawn across your toes will be parallel to a line down the center of station 5 from the 16 to the 27 yard line."
    So, both feet are pointing 90 degrees away from the trap house?

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Your left target on 5 will never be more than a straightaway. So putting your toes in line with the walk works. This gives you enough room to swing on a right without tightening up.

Shoot 2 & 1/2 feet in front of the target if you swing deliberately, less if you go faster. Keep the gun moving, you are not finished till the smoke flies.

HM

9. wiscokid

wiscokid TS Member

Thanks for all the great advice. I will take it to the club this weekend. Whiz, my e-mail came back. I'll try to send it again.

Wisco

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

For me it was,

Feet placed at 90degrees on that line from 16 to 27.

Mount my gun way out past where I can possilby break bird, swing back to hold point.

This makes me have have my legs, knees bent and somwhat relaxed.

Kness bent and somwehat relaxed, do me the foundation of good shooting!

Foot placement so I can have a full swing on the hard angle. priceless

Al

When one gave me fits,hard lefts, toes even with the front of the box, was a good fix.

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Code5coup;

Yes, 90 degrees away from the machine in the trap house and perpendicular to the line down station 5.

Rollin

12. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

It's already been written, but the 2 things that turned my post 5 around were having someone video tape me shooting a locked trap to show me that (1) I was relaxing my cheek pressure because (2) I was tracking with my arms instead of turning from the waist. It took me a full day to get comfortable twisting at the waist while keeping my arms, shoulders and back basically locked but once I got the hang of it, the face lifting stopped as well and I could then shoot AT the target instead of what looked like 2 feet IN FRONT of it.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Become more agressive, shorten the ride, quit lollygaggin' behind em'

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My email worked for about 75 emails today... one more shouldn't hurt.

Try again - no caps.

DITTO Tron's advice. Also the stance is pretty well discussed in the book by D. Lee Braun and the DVD on the same.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.