1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on 391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

The bolt on my 391 teknys suddenly will not open. Bolt handle would move about an inch and just stop like there was something blocking it. This is happening even without the trigger assembly and the barrel off.
    I would appreciate any input on what might be causing this to happen, and hopefully a solution. Many thanks in advance. JM

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Two things come to mind. You either have the connecting rod installed upside down or you broke the buffer out of it.

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Bet ya that the connecting rod is not in the recoil spring socket. Take the trigger out and take a look.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Connecting rod is broken; or possibly the locking block.

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

The connecting rod is okay and is in the recoil spring socket. After a closer look, it appears the recoil spring socket is the problem. It is not going all the way down. It goes back an inch and then stops like there is something blocking it inside the recoil spring tube.
    By the way, all this started when I took of the trigger assembly and replaced it with another one.
    Is there some thing inside the recoil spring tube that gets out of alignment when the bolt assembly is removed?
    Thanks for the help. JM

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

This appears to be a fairly common occurence with the 391. Reinserting the bolt does not always go smoothly (happens to me sometimes) The following instructions and caution were posted on shotgun world forum:

"To put the bolt back in, put the breech bolt and slide together, hold them in place in front of the receiver on top of the magazine tube, drop the connecting rod down in the receiver, and just barely start the end of the bolt into the receiver. Put the operating rod on the magazine tube and hook the end of the operating rod into the side of the slide. Now slide the whole works down into the receiver. Make sure the end of the connecting rod goes into the cup on the end of the recoil spring guide (part 12 ). You should now be able to work the bolt up and down, compressing the recoil spring, by holding onto the operating rod. Once the bolt is in, stick the cocking handle back in.

Sometimes the bolt will seem to go in OK but it won't slide back all the way. If that happens, make sure the end of the connecting rod is in the cup on the recoil spring guide. If it is, make sure the connecting rod isn't installed upside-down (see the "caution" paragraph above). If that is OK, the bolt probably went into the receiver cocked a little bit to one side. Take the bolt out and start over, making sure the bolt goes in straight. It might help to turn the bolt a little bit clockwise as seen from the front as it goes in."

Sometimes takes me a good bit of "jiggling" to get the bolt aligned just right to go back in all the way. Try holding the receiver upside down (top of receiver pointed down) as that sometimes help the alignment issue for me.

Jim R

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Jim, and I will certainly do what you suggest. For now, it is my recoil spring plunger that is getting hang up somewhere inside the recoil spring tube. I tried using a wooden dowel to push it down the tube, but it only goes down about an inch and stops. It is driving me nuts. JM

8. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

with the trigger out- will it slide in?

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Ihad a similar problem in the past, changed the recoil spring, thorough cleaned the tube that holds the recoil spring. The old spring was significantly shorter than the new one. Could hve been kinking. I always use clean burning powders, but alot of debris was flushed out.

Phil Berkowitz

10. Joe O

Joe O Member

It sounds like you will need to remove the spring and follower from the tube. Remember you will need to apply heat to get the nut off at the base of the spring. Then it's a simple process to unscrew it and the spring and follower should fall right out and you can see what the problem is inside there. It wouldn't hurt to clean the tube and replace the spring while you're in there.
    Last year the follower in my Benelli broke in half inside the tube when I was pheasant hunting. I had a devil of a time trying to figure out what was causing the intermitent cycling problem on my otherwise extremely reliable pheasant slayer. Things can go wrong in there!

11. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Once again, thanks to all of you for your help. It looks like I will have to remove the recoil spring tube to resolve the problem. JM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.