1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help newbie select first trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I am blessed to own three classic 12 gauge field guns:

a 1940 modified choke Ithaca 37R full rib 28" or 30".
    a 1941 full choke Remington 31 no rib 30".
    a 1955 modified choke Winchester Model 12 no rib 28".

Not being a hunter I have no "need" for any of these, I just bought them for their beauty and history.

I am an experienced shooter at paper targets with no experience with clays. Will any or all of these be adequate to get started shooting at clay birds?

Thanks

Lou

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The 31 will work

3. Bushmaster1313

Is there a strap on device that will raise the comb for a lefty shooter? Do I need to bother at first?

What is it called to I can search for it onlone?

Thanks

Lou

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I agree, the Remington 31. It probably shoots pretty flat, so I would definitely take the time to pattern that gun. Wayne

5. Bushmaster1313

What do you mean by shoots pretty flat?

What do you mean by pattern?

Lou

6. Bushmaster1313

Except for the weight/recoil, why wouldn't the full rib modified choke Ithaca be a better choice?

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Bushmaster, I don't have much time, got to head to the trap club. You need to find your POI (point of impact) in relationship with your POA (point of aim). I do this on a pattern board. A 30 inch circle with a 4 inch bullseye at a distance of 35 yards. A gun that shoots flat is considered a 50/50 or 60/40 shooter. Where 50 to 60% of your pellets is above and 50 to 40% below your bullseye or POA. Use the SEARCH feature and type in: pattern, or POA, POI. Lots of info on this site. Sorry I don't have more time. Wayne

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Lou: Do yourself a favor and look around for a used 870TB. It is a dedicated trap gun. There are a "ton" of them around and can be had at a decent price. Once you decide to upgrade or whatever, the 870TB will hold its value and you won't lose a lot of $$. I mention the TB because it is a decent gun and can be purchased for a lot less $$ than any other trap gun out there. Ed

9. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Bushmaster,
    Can't imagine any of them working out too well for you. But if you want to try one out and get a cheap setup to raise the comb to see if it works first, go to a company called Meadow Industries.
    They make the best removable/inexpensive velcro adjustable comb/pads on the market. They are easy to put on and adjust to different heights.

Good luck, puablo

10. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

It depends on how much you want to shoot. If your joining a league or ATA take Eds advise. If your an experienced shooter at paper you already know that a dedicated paper puncher makes that type of shooting more enjoyable. That in turn keeps you shooting. I shot trap with my Ithaca 37 once. They are great field guns,light weight and good shooters. They are not the best for trap. If you just want to try trapshooting once or twice the Remington or Winchester would work better for you.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

For the comb, try google wrapidcomb. also pachmyer makes some comb stick ons.
    I agree with most find a decent used 870 trap. heck or even a field master870
    Or maybe just cash in on the AR frenzy and sell one of your toys and buy a decent 1100 with all the bells and whistles. Onw was offered not long ago here
    1100 with 30 barrel,, adj comb, adjustble recoil pad, chokes and fitted case for like 800.00

12. Bushmaster1313

I already sold my toy and used the proceeds to buy a Baker Elite I'm afraid to shoot.

I want to know which of the guns I still have I can use to get started on trap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

sweet! Well I personaly would just shoot the one your least afraid of useing, or bring all 3 and shoot a few rounds with each. High score wins
    http://www.gunsolutions.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21 This may or may not help

14. Bushmaster1313

I am not afraid of shooting any of the Remington 31, the Ithaca 37R or the Model 12. I am only afraid of not teating the Baker properly till I know more about it.

My thought is that I definitely want a dedicated trap gun.

Any thoughts out there about the "Model 12 Trap"

I will be starting a new thread.

Lou

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Lou: A trap grade Model 12 is a very nice and desirable gun. However, they command a pretty good price on the market. I have several Model 12's and have kind of retired them to the gun cabinet, For the price of a nice Model 12; you can purchase a decent over/under with choke tubes to allow you to experience all the clay target games. I do have a pigeon grade model 12 that has beautiful wood and is completely original; except that it has an adjustable comb. I am not totally committed to selling it; but will email pictures if you are interested. Ed

16. Bushmaster1313

I think I am going to shop local for my first trap gun.
    I want one that looks old but still has lots of life in it.

Thank you anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.