1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! New Shooter needs advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MattSaban, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattSaban

MattSaban TS Member

Hi folks,
    Great Forum!

My name is Matt Saban and I live in Northern Illinois. I am relatively new to trap shooting, have been doing it for several months. What a fantastic sport!

I currenty use my hunting shotgun for singles and wobble / doubles. My field gun is a Benelli Vinci 28" with extended Carlson Modified choke for 16 yd and Carlson extended full for handicap. I have had what I consider to be reasonable results averaging 18 -20 currently from the 16 yard line with several 23's. I reload and make every effort to run a minimum of a case of shells a week through the business end.

After several opportunities to shoot "big boy guns (P's and K's etc) I find that the Benelli is very light in comparison and I tend to stop my swing as I trigger. I am interested in a new shotgun, specifically for trap. I do intend to continue with the sport as I have become fully addicted. I would love a P or K gun however finances probablly dont allow unless I find a great deal. Anyone Selling?

I have shouldered Browning Citori XT Trap, and Cynergy Unsingle Combo both fit well. I have also tried Beretta Gold (682 I think??), for me fit was not as comfortable. Have looked at Charles Daley, as well as Remington and several other lower priced guns. My gut feeling based on opinions I have read and folks I speak with is B guns are good value, P's and K's are better.

Any advise? Do I even want and over under or should I lean to combo's? Anyone have anything thats collecting dust they would like to sell?

Thanks in advance!
    Matt Saban
    mjsaban@sbcglobal.net

PS please dont misunderstand, I love my Benelli! However, you dont use a framing hammer to install trim or vise versa.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with a XT Browning or the 682 Beretta. The higher end guns are no doubt better but it is also important to leave enough money in the bank so that you can get out and shoot regularly.

I would search the used gun market for a slightly used XT or 682x Beretta. If you get one of these guns you won't face any significant depreciation losses if you want to upgrade to that P or K gun someday. I would also reccomend the a 34"/32" or 32"/30" combo because if you just get an o/u tube set you will always wonder what you are missing out on.

As far as gun fit, you probably won't find a gun off the rack that fits you perfectly. The good news here is that it is not that expensive to have an adjustable comb installed and/or change the length. You will need some qualified help on making those kind of adjustments.

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the pond.

shoot well and have fun.....Rick in Mt.

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I know they are a little more money but the Caesar Guerrini's are great guns for the value. I have about 7500 round through mine and love it.

5. ercowles

ercowles Member

Matt: I'm a relatively new shooter (about 3 yrs) and have been shooting a Browning Citori XT Trap combo -- 34 unsingle; 32 o/u; (from Guns Unlimited Omaha -- see the website). I have about 35,000 rounds through it, including 15,000 registered targets. While it doesn't have the panache of Ks and Ps, Ls, or Ks, I think it is just about the best value around. Adjustable rib on the unsingle and adjustable comb. It didn't fit me off the shelf, but Todd Nelson (Country Gentleman) fitted it for me at the Southern Grand in Florida, and it's like a glove. I don't think you can go wrong with this gun. I also have a Browning XS Skeet -- 28 inches o/u -- also fitted by Todd Nelson, and together these guns make a good pair, and, I believe, a great value.

ed cowles

6. FNG

FNG Member

I have a Frigon trap combo for sale that might fit your needs and budget. If you'll do a search on this site for "Frigon" you'll see my posting on about
    18 Jan. 2010. Take a look and let me know if you're interested.
    Phil Barry

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Buy a name brand that is likely to be around for a while or have plenty of people who can fix them. Browning, Beretta, Remington and Winchester. If you get flush with money consider a used older Perazzi. What ever you buy, get some fitting to be sure it will be comfortable to shoot. Don't buy off brand stuff because it is cheap. They're hard to get fixed and harder to get rid of. I'd start with an OU and let your experience guide you to the next step.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

If you buy a good used K-80 Trap combo you will lose little if any money if you sell it later; and you will have one of the best guns available. Decent guns can be had for $6500 to $7500. These guns go over 250,000 rounds. I get mine serviced at about 20-25,000 rounds ($125-150)

This will give you a barrel for singles and HC and barrels for doubles on a common stock/receiver. Once the gun is fitted - you are set for all games. The trigger will be the same too.

When you move to a release trigger, the K-80 can be modified. But it must be done by a gunsmith - preferably Krieghoff. Cost will run about $1000 - but they are very good triggers.

You will never need a better gun and you will save yourself the constant "upgrading" and re-learning process that accompanies "buying a better score" with another "investment" every 18-24 months.

Don Verna

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They're a lot of used trap guns on the market. Shot as many of them as possible. When you find one that breaks a lot of targets and doesn't hurt you when you shoot it, buy it. HMB

10. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

It is nice if your single/handicap gun has an adjustable rib and comb. With a gun made by B you can buy parts from them and replace them yourself. They are like the pickup truck among sports cars of the trap gun world.

11. MattSaban

MattSaban TS Member

Thanks everyone!!!!

I have used many technical forums in the past and this has been by far the most responsive.

You guys are all great! I certianly appreciate the words of wisdom.

Anyone know of a good instructor in Northern Il?

12. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Check out the websites of Harlan Campbell Jr., Phil Kiner, Leo Harrison, Rick Marshall Jr., and David Shaffer. They all should have dates of scheduled clinics. If you do a search for the above names their sites should pop up.

Welcome to the community and good luck in the future.

Regards,
    Matt Krizinski

13. jaymz870

jaymz870 TS Member

Hi Matt.
    Not sure where you're at in Northern Illinois but this might interest you.Plug and Pellet is on the far southwest edge of Rockford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.