1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Help needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Just before I say, "Pull", I say to myself..."Hug the Gun". It becomes a kind of mantra that drives out any negative thoughts and focuses me on what is important! Hope this helps. Jack
  2. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

1166; I have heard it said that if you drag your call it may help. Pullllllllllll.
  3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

...in the sun & breeze of Copper Bank, Belize
    The gun may not fit you so you come out of it because staying in it is not comfortable. You may have to strain your neck to keep your head down or behind the rib.

If the gun fits you, you may be recoil shy.

If the gun fits and you're not recoil shy, the gun may be have a too-low POI or your hold point may be too high and you may be coming out of it to continue seeing the target.

Otherwise, time and attention to fundamentals may be the only thing that corrects your problem. "Practice" should be just that... intentional work on improving fundamentals. Going out and just shooting at targets and expecting it will also improve your technique may be fun but it's ultimately a complete waste of time and money.

Keller
  4. guthooked

guthooked Member

Follow these steps exactly to cure comming out of the gun.
    1 get yourself some heavy fishing line 80 lb minimum
    2 get yourself a 8/0 treble hook
    3 tie the hook to one end of the line
    4 tie a loop big enough in the other end of the line to get your neck in it
    5 place the end with the hook near your manhood be careful not to hook yourself
    6 place the other end around your neck
    7 go out and shoot some trap and see if you dare to pick up your head.

If that doesn't work try adjusting your comb. GH
  5. MilCon

MilCon TS Member

Just one darn second here , that last post is used for golfing only.
    The use of that method is not condoned for any other sport!!!!!

Ken
  6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There is a lot of good advice out there but this is what helped me. The advice came from Eric Weikum (GRHS) some years ago. He said that I should lower my elbows, as far as was comfortable, when I mount the gun. It helped me immensely, especially in doubles.
  7. whiz white

whiz white Perazzi & P/W Part s Dealer & Repair Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Your gun MUST fit properly. This is the first biggest caveat in trapshooting.

Any gun that does not fit your properly will do to you what you are experiencing. Also, be cure to follow through AFTER the shot.

I just saw an above thread by the new shooter who posted photos of his new "trap" gun. My first, immediate thought was that ain't no trap stock, that looks like a field stock. I was going to post this, but decided that the guy will eventually decide to get a proper stock for trap.

As D. Lee Braun of the famed "Trapshooting with the Remington Pros" stated, gun fit is the first step in this sport.

WW
  8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Stay in the gun and follow the biggest piece you see "After your shot" down to the ground like you were going to shoot that piece again. Do it until it becomes a habit. Good Luck and Break em all JEff
  9. RobertT

RobertT Active Member

Second Jeff's recommendation.

Robert
  10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

...in the sun & breeze of Copper Bank, Belize
    Do you guys realize just how annoying it can be to have the shooter before you still waving his barrel around in the air when you're ready to mount and shoot?

Keller
  11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Moderator Staff Member

Keller, my thoughts exactly!

Hauxfan!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.