1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

##### Help Needed with Barrel Hanger ####

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Newfoundlander, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Trying to dial in my O/U barrels and need help doing so...

I have a new K-80 Trap Special Combo with Pro Rib...

The Over Barrel shoots centers at 4 inches high @ 13 yards and the Under barrel shoots 1 inch high...

I would like to have this picture reversed to shoot doubles like I am used to doing...

The hanger number is #5 and the rib is set all the way to the top to bring the Over barrel down to the 4 inches pattern center..

I need to know what hanger will rise the POI of the bottom barrel to shoot where needed...

Also I am wondering if the Middle Hanger is having any effect of why the over barrel shoots so high..

Thanks in advance for the replys..

Robert Appleby

( Newfoundlander )..

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A #2 might do it. HMB

3. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I have a choked tube trap special. I have a #3 hanger. Top & bottom barrels have same poi at 35 yards never shot it at 13 yards.

4. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

7Mag, do you have the pro rib and if you do, how did you set the adjustment wheel to obtain the same POI..

I didn't try it on 35 yards but will try that tomorrow..

I called K-Int. and they didn't know why I pattern at 13 yds..

The 13 yd range is how I patterned my C.G. and thought that this would be the same for the K-80...

Robert

5. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken your barrel hanger will change your bottom barrels poi. The rib will move both barrels up & down for poi.

6. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

It is impossible to know for sure without shooting it but having said that I would try a #3 first. And yes the rib height changes both and the hanger changes the bottom only (supposedly) but I have heard of it sometimes pulling the top one down a smidge.

I do know changing the middle will do something but I am not sure what it does. Call Krieghoff in Ottsville and talk to Braxton. Also order the hanger from him and get him to agree that if the #3 doesn't work he will let you trade it back in (straight across) for the #2

You didn't mention your single barrel but, I assume your are matching your O/U to the single.

Also I would be curious to hear if the relationship between the two barrels changed when you patterned at 35 yards vs 13.

7. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Hi Phil,

I appreciate your input and knowledge of the situation..

I will call Braxton about hanger # changes and the center hanger relationship to POI..

I used the 13 yd POI as per Niel Winston's website..

I did POI the Unsingle and it is centering the load at 3-1/2 to 4 inches high which is where I like it for singles..

With the O/U , the Under centers 1 inch high and the Top barrel centers 4 inches high and this is with the adjustments set to shoot as low as they can be placed..

I would like the reverse to this picture because I shoot the Under barrel first and like a higher pattern for the first bird.....

Today I will do the 35 yard patterns and see what it looks like compared to the 13 yard system..

Thanks again for the help,

Robert

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The 13 yd shot is not a test for pattern, rather it's for your point of impact. It would be hard to determine an accurate point of impact at 35 yards simply because of the variation patterns can sometimes produce at that distance.

9. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Update on the O/U patterns at 35 yards..

The under barrel shot at 60/40 or there about and the over barrel hit 90/10...

I hope that this helps in determining what hanger would be needed to bring this picture in reverse..

Thanks for advice,

Robert

10. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Had the same problem when I went to the Trap Special and then the new DTS rib. (#1)- Realize Pattern boards lie. With that in mind. Try 35 yds. at least 2 shots of the same type of shell per barrel (I prefer 1 oz. loads) from a rest, (If I am setting up a Doubles Gun sometimes I will shoot 6 shots per barrel to better evaluate the POI between the barrels). Set it up as mentioned above using a #3 hanger or going to a #2 may help. I even tried #1, as Phil Kiner mentioned, this will raise the bottom barrels POI UP but will also pull DOWN the top slightly. Remember, the smaller the hanger number the higher the bottom barrel will shoot (#2)- After you pattern the gun and it's in the BALL PARK on paper, go to station 3 and lock it to shoot straight away, have someone watch how they break. Are they chipping off the top, bottom or are they shooting left or chipping to the right. Make required adjustments then shoot again and take the machine off straightaways. Stay on station 3 and evaluate. When you are start to smoke them, shoot all 5 stations and make small adjustments as required until you feel confident in the way YOUR GUN and YOU are shooting (#3)- Patterning can be a simple task sometimes your gun is right on but that can be the exception not the rule. I have many expert shooters at my club that never use a pattern board. They know how to set their gun up and just adjust as they shoot. BTW I found the same techniques worked when I set up a Kolar adjustable rib. This can be another pain in the a*^ to set up. Sometimes when you complete this project you will find that your crushing targets on the line then you go back to the pattern board and thing may appear to be somewhat off. DON'T TOUCH IT. This can be sometimes impossible, many trap shooters have a tendency to like to adjust things, myself included. Good luck and hopes this helps. Cyrus

11. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

12. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Mine has a number 5 hanger in it and I have the rib set right at the bottom. It is shooting as high as it will go.

Terry.

13. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Assuming that you have an adjustable rib on the Unsingle and O/U and an adjustable comb.

1. Set the POI of the O/U Over barrel at 1" at 13 yards using the comb and leaving the rib alone. Shoot the under barrel for POI. Record results using 10% per each inch off of 50/50 ie 4" low = 10/90, for the K-Intl.

2. Make sure that you can get the POI you want with the Unsingle using the rib adjustment and the new comb adjustment.

3. Call K-Intl and ask them what hanger is needed to get the bottom barrel to shoot 90/10% at 35 yards telling them what the under barrel shoots as set above.

From what others have posted, seems like you may need a #1 hanger to make it to 90/10.

Plan B: If unable to get step 1 & 2 done, shoot the top barrel 1st for doubles use 1 oz #8 at 1190 f/s, to lessen the recoil, .015 Lt Mod to .020 Mod choke.

Jason

14. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I shot a 99 in doubles today with it set shooting 100% high on both barrels.

Terry.

15. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Hi Terry,

Great shooting with a 99 in doubles...

I wish that I could get my top barel to come down to a POI of around 60/40 but that seems impossible..

I have the settings on the rib set to give the maximun lowest POI possible and the top barrel is still 90/10 or greater..

At these settings the lower barrel is 60/40 , exactly opposite of how I would like to have the barrels set up...

I am in agreement with Waverider and am thinking that a # 1 hanger is what I may need...

I am wondering what purpose that the middle hanger serves and if the screw were loosened would the barrels spring back straight..

As of right now, it looks like the bottom barrel is bent downwards from the middle hanger towards the end..

In any event, I will call Braxton once the long weekend holidays are over..

Many thanks for all the input,

Robert

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Surely the dealer from whom you purchased the gun can help you make the proper correction. Why not call him? I'm sure he'll be glad to help!!

17. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Get the #1 hanger, and set barrel convergence with the middle hanger to about .020"-.030" closer toward the muzzle.

This should get you in the ballpark. Both barrels closer to a normal POI bias.

Because the choke tube guns have larger barrel ends, the number system is three digits different from the old style conventional hanger.

Trap guys usually liked a #3 hanger on fixed choke guns; skeeters used #5 at most. This roughly equates to #0 and #2 hanger with choke tube guns. They don't make #0 so get out your screwdriver. Regards, GAP

P.S As the gun is a "pro-rib" model, a typically conventional POI may be tough to achieve.

18. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

With the "trap specials" or guns with a "floating rib" . . .

. . . changing the end hanger or adjusting the mid hanger will almost equally affect the POI of both barrels; the hangers attach the barrels to each other so to "bend" one "bends" the other. The rib does not act as a structural part of the package as in a conventional type gun.

Normal set-up procedures may not apply in this case.

19. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

From the Krieghoff factory website www.krieghoff.com, click on Competition Shotguns, click on K-80 Trap, click on K-80 Barrels, Click on Front Hangers. The lower the hanger number, the higher the POI on the bottom barrel.

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a new barrel, one that shoots where you want it to shoot. HMB

Search tags for this page
adjusting middle barrel hanger on k20

how to find kolar hanger number

how to install kolar barrel hangers

kolar barrel hangers

ober under barrel hangers
where to find kolar barrel hanger number
which hanger for trap shooting