1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Needed Making My MX-15 into a Combo Set

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I have an MX-15 with a unsingle adjustable barrel and I am considering adding a O/U barrel to it for doubles. Can any one give me any advice on which Perazzi barrel will fit on an MX-15 that would be suitable for my use. The serial number is 112,000. As an alternative is there a Perazzi combo set made that is similare to what I am trying to do that will not "break the bank". Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Doug

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

None are perfect but an MX10 is very close.

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

ditto on what Barry said. That is what I had on my MX15 when I shot doubles.

Matt Woodson

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Citadel, I tried to do exactly what you are considering, and ran into problems. First, you add any O/U set that does not have a round monoblock. The differences to consider are barrel length and rib height.

The barrel that "matches" the rib height of your MX-15 is an MX-8 with a trap rib. The conventional wisdom says that's what you should go with. That same CW says the heaviest barrels you can comfortably swing are 32" barrels. Perazzi 32" barrels are actually 31.5" long. This 32" nominal MX-8 trap rib O/U will not shoot to the same POI as your unsingle barrel with the same comb settings. It will shoot higher, because the barrels are shorter. I don't think that is what you want for doubles.

Here is the problem I had with that arrangement. I take singles and handicap targets fast. They are still rising, so a mid-range POI is fine. Mine currently is about 9" high @ 40. It used to be much, much higher, and that caused problems. Doubles targets are not thrown as far as single targets, and they level out and start to fall sooner. I am not expert at doubles and have to look for the second target. By the time I get to it, it has leveled out or is starting to drop. For that, I am much better off using a lower POI, even flat. I could not get there with my 35" MX-15 barrel and 31.5" MX-8 trap O/U combo, no matter how I adjusted the comb. There just wasn't enough adjustment, and the huge change in stock fit caused problems.

So the first thing I'd suggest is you borrow some different barrels and try them out. Many of your Perazzi shooting buddies will let you try their O/U barrels on your gun, after they make sure they fit properly. You will more than likely have to use their forearm also. Then see how you do at doubles.

I'll also suggest you try to keep the length of the O/U barrels as close to the unsingle length as possible. I use a 35"/34" combo now. If I were ever to buy another combo, all barrels would be the same length.

The higher the rib compared to your MX-15/8 rib height, the lower the O/U barrels will shoot with the same comb setting. So in order of rib heights, your choices are MX-8 trap rib or MX-14, MX-3 Special and DB-81 (really high) for fixed ribs, and MX2000/10RS (lowest adj rib), MX10 and MX-2005 (really High) for adjustable ribs.

If you are looking for an adjustable rib, the most common barrel set you'll come across for same is the MX-2000/10RS in 32" (nominal). You will find some 34" (actual) also. The most commonly available fixed rib barrels are the MX-8 trap O/U in 31.5" length. Since your unsingle barrel is more than likely 34" long, I'd start with the MX-2000/10RS O/U barrel and see which way you have to go from there. Good luck.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

All of the complexities described by zzt re: combos supports my personal belief (though I realize that many will loudly disagree) that the best solution for a trap gun is a good, well-fitting over and under for singles, handicap, and doubles. Gun weight, balance, and "feel" remain the same..regardless. Now, all the threads about the disadvantages of really high ribs on undersingle barrels and their problems with "canting" and POI and target misses convinces me even more. That said, this is why everybody has a great selection to choose from and contend with. For me, keeping it simple, stupid with an O/U - regardless of brand - is the way to go. Contending with adjustable ribs, combs and pads is fun for those who enjoy it... Best Regards and Merry Christmas, Ed PS. Don't flame me..."Good Will Toward Men - and Women"....

6. jhh

jhh Member

I have shot targets for 39 years and here is my 2cents worth. Singles and doubles are so very different, if you can justify the cost, use two different guns. Even if they are both o/u's I think they have to be set up so differently that you will do better with two different guns. Personal example, I have lots of guns but shoot my singles and caps (27 yd) with a superposed broadway set up at 100% high and doubles with another one set up to shoot dead flat. The chokes are different in the guns, and the balance point is different, but with the exception of the comb height everything else is the same including the trigger weight, which if you are going to shoot two guns I think is critical. Regards, John Hancock

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

OldGoat, I'm right there with you. I've said several times in the last few months, if I could wave a magic wand and start all over, it would be an O/U with GOOD choke tubes, a selectable trigger and maybe two stocks.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

citadel,

I forgot to mention when I posted earlier......Call Elmer Fairchild and see if he still has the MX2000 O/U barrels I traded him @ the Grand. They are 31.5", have Adjustable Rib, ported by Top-Line, have Tom Wilkinson barrel work and are MINT condition. I had these barrels on my MX15. With the MX15 barrel set @ 90/10 and these O/U barrels set @ 90/10, I didn't have to do any changing. I just threw them on and shot. There was a slight difference in sight picture, but broke targets just the same.

Matt Woodson

9. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks to everyone for the sugggestions and to MIA for the helpful email he sent me.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.