1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed.. Chevy S-10 Won't Start or Run

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by birddog1964, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

you can ck a couple of things, coil and wire, dis cap and rotor, ignition module, these where bad about burning coil wires and rotors. If you have fire and still are having problems fill free to PM me and I will do all I can to help.

thanks
    lee

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jerry,

Pouring fuel down the tbi won't always tell you about the fuel delivery.

To see if the Fuel pump is working, go out and turn the key to the on position and see if you hear a high pitched whine coming from the back of the truck (fuel pump is in the tank). It should run for a few seconds and shut off when the proper fuel pressure has been reached. If you don't hear the fuel pump, then it will need to be replaced.

ss

3. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

So I would beleive this is HEI. There is a large power wire that plugs into the side. It should have 12 volts with the key on. Other than that if you are capable of removing and reinstalling the distributor "IN TIME", I would take it to someone who can. There is a coil, a module, and a pickup inside. Our NAPA has a tester for these.Good luck. Birdtracker

4. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Check for spark at the coil take the wire out of the Dist. to see if there is spark coming out of the coil have someone crank it over to see if there spark if so put the wire back in the dist. then take a plug wire off and stick a screw driver in the plug end and hold it near some mteal have him crank it over to see if there spark at the plug if on spark then could be bad rotor or dist cap.If there is no spark coming out of the coil wire take the wire out of the coil and crank it over if you see spark then it a bad coil wire if you still don't see any spark check the coil with a test lite at the neg side see if the lite go on and off went you crank it if it doesn,t then you have a bad pich up in the dist,and has to be change. Now if it is a one pice unit with the coil part of the dist it's a little harder to check most of the time the coil burns through the dist cap and grounds out and the cap is bad and the other problem is the black box inside the dist goes bad which is also comon problem it get mosture inside it and short out these are some of the most comom problems with the one pice units hope this could be of some help to find the poblem good luck also if there is on power to the pos side if the coil could be short from the ign switch to the coil .

5. jmas

jmas TS Member

Catlytic Converter ???? I had one on an S-10 that acted thatway.

6. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

If all else fails check the oxygen sincer, can cause one to act this way.
    Carey

7. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I had an S10, the fuel pump went out and it cost me $1000 to fix it.

8. DaveG

DaveG TS Member

Jerry,
    My 1991 S-10 4.3L did the same thing. I replaced the engine temp. sensor
    there is two one for the gauge and one for the fi computer. I have not
    had any problem since.
    Good Luck Dave

9. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

My brother in law had an S10 and had to put 5 fuel pumps in it. They were always going out. He sold it to a guy in south Texas. It was a crew cab so I think the guy is renting it out as condiminiums.

10. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

The 4.3L only runs reliably with the GM cap, rotor, and plugs. When I tried a number of after market parts. They only lasted between 15 minutes and 2 months. Funny thing is I put bosch plugs in and it didn't run real well. I put the GM plug made by bosch and it ran great. Same thing with the cap and rotor. I never did figure out why. GM dealer parts guy said he had seen that happen before. Check the fuel pump pressure and replace the filter anyway. The filter is next to the frame. Check the pressure there too. Doesn't sound like the cam shaft because you said that it ran good for a period of time(anything over a couple minutes would tell). These cams were induction hardened. Which is another way of saying case hardened. When you wear through the hard skin, then the lobes wear down real quick. I know. I had to replace one.
    Todd

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

My money is on the fuel pump.

12. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I believe it's the fuel filter, change it no matter what.

Tom Strunk

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Help needed.. Chevy S-10 Won

How about this on some cars their a coarse sock over the pump intake. take the gas tank cap off. Trying blowing into the line from the carb body back to the tank, listen if you hear bubbles. , also check for a collapsed fuel line.

Phil Berkowitz

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

15. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have some experience with a S-10 with a similar problem. It turned out to be the fuel pump. Back then the pump was a little over a hundred bucks and you can change it yourself if you have some mechanical experience along with time and patience. As stated above, you have to drop the tank to get to the pump since it is installed in the top part of the fuel tank. Before you do anything else, you may want to uncouple the fuel line up near the engine and put a pressure gauge on it, then turn the switch on, to see what you have for pressure. If my memory isn't playing tricks on me, If it isn't up in the 55 plus pound range then you probably need a pump. The one I changed out was on a 90 model, that model also seemed to be a little hard on starters also.

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

You could just have it towed to the crusher!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

17. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Fuel Filter or pump...or something else.

BB

18. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jerry, good to hear you are back on the road....I'm not a mechanic, but the first thing I would have checked out would have been my local Ford dealer. Hope to see ya in a couple of weeks, bring my man, Jack.....happy new year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.