1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help, need to remove a trigger lock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rhymeswithorange, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I need to remove a combination trigger lock off of a 391. It's not my gun honest, but the its been on there for a few years and the owner has forgotten the combo. I was thinking drill it out but open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Dave Eberhart

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Probably drilling it is the best way to do it without damaging the gun. Better the lock falls apart after drilling than breaks apart under force, scratching up the gun in the process. Gun locks aren't typically made of hardened metal.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If its the (2) pc type that cover the actual trigger i would guess drilling would be your only option other than a good lock smith perhaps picking it. Just make sure not to drill thru the trigger.----Matt

4. Hooked

Hooked Member

If it's the type that goes through and covers the entire trigger guard, you can pick it quite easily with a thin, but rigid piece of metal wire/rod and a bit of patience. If you have another lock handy, have a look at how the two pieces go together.

The male half of the lock has a grove with a spring loaded "one way" pin in it. Use the piece of metal wire and from the female side of the lock, work the wire into the grove and push the pin down. The two pieces of the lock will then come apart.

Good luck.

Brian

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

It probably has only 999 combination possibilities, turn on the tv, sit down and start at 001. MORAL OF THE STORY....NEVER USE a TRIGGER LOCK, they are dangerous to boot!

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"MORAL OF THE STORY....NEVER USE a TRIGGER LOCK, they are dangerous to boot!"</I></blockquote>

I'd LOVE to hear the logic behind this one! [​IMG]

MK

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Try working your little combination lock when a home invasion is in process.

Can you do it with a couple holes in you or a bashed in skull?

Yes, dangerous.

Good luck.

HM

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

They drill out easier than you would think. :)

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Unknown1, if you cannot figure out why a trigger lock is dangerous you should not handle any firearm.....

tell you what....I will hand you a loaded 45, cocked, with a trigger lock on it.....will you fiddle with the lock and take it off?? I won't.

It is drilled into everyone that ever took a safety course not to put your finger on a trigger until you are ready to fire.....so why attach a trigger lock onto a gun and make it ready to fire when you cannot even SEE the trigger.

mash the link above or here....http://www.donath.org/Rants/OnTriggerLocks/

when I see a trigger lock coming off a gun I usually hit the dirt or at least make sure I am not near the end of the barrell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.