1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP ! need information

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chuck-d, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

I do not use this site often but do read it, and wonder if by chance there is some one that can verify there is a way of timing a Model 12 Winchester ?
    had a small discussion about that at a one trap gun club today and it seems most young shooters are of the belief no such thing is possible !
    however back in the 1940's ( yes I am almost 74 ) my Father took a model 12 Winchester to an old gun smith as it was stuck, would not fully open and would not close and it did not seem to be the firing pin broken and the old gun smith told my Father the model was out of time ?
    any help or if anyone has pictures of this so called timing tool I would greatly
    appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance. Chuck........

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Chuck it is such a ting as timing the model 12 but I don't know how maybe some of the model-12 guru's will enlighten us both on what to do.

Foghorn

3. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

Foghorn, thanks, I sincerely hope someone out there has some information on the old model 12 Winchester.
    I once saw a tool on ebay that the seller claimed was a Model 12 timing tool,
    I sure am kicking my self for not buying the tool. even though I have no idea what to do with it.
    Chuck

4. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

email stu at wrightsinc@mychoice.net .he can help you. he is in southern illinois.hope this helps dwain

5. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

dwain, thanks, I also am from Illinois but not real proud if you know what i mean? chuck

6. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

FlaLagarto, well I was born in Iowa, however have lived most of my life in IL.
    but since the great state of IL. has been so hard on gun owners and make us carry a "firearms owner identification card" in order to buy guns ammo or even carry a gun in the field it almost makes me wish I lived in KY or most any other state. I have to give the state credit though they did let the ATA come to IL. which I was in doubt that would ever happen.

7. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

Roger, thank you for the information. this does help. do you perhaps know if there was ever a tool made to do this timing ?
    regards, Chuck..........

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Chuck.......Congrats! We're the same age! When you speak of timing, some things come to mind. We can be talking gun operation or shooting. Assuming we mean gun operation, then certain things can affect a gun's timing......the presence of trigger creep, a tigger thats not light enough, droptime, a need for lube or cleaning, worn parts that rub where they aren't supposed to or need replacing etc,etc. All these things can be checked by a good smitty. Even bad primers,powder, etc could have an affect on gun function/operation. Hope this helps!

9. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

Hipshot3, yes in asking about timing the Model 12 Winchester I was talking about the operation of said firearm. for years I have heard shooters talk about a model 12 being out of time, however I have yet to have that explained to me to my satifaction completely. Last Sunday we had a discussion at my little one trap gun club and the younger shooters are under the impression there is no such thing, so I am trying to get proof that there is. Or at least
    I am of the belief there is and "overbored" seemes to agree with me and has a very logical explanation. anyway thanks for your input it is appreciated.
    Chuck...

10. mirage1

mirage1 Member

I second the vote for Stu Wright.
    Joe

11. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

Thanks Joe, I think I am a little confused, is Hipshot 3 the same as Stu Wright ?
    I emailed Stu at wrightsinc@mychoice.net but didn't get an answer as email.
    appreciate all the help.
    chuck-d

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Chuck: Sometimes Stu is a little slow in answering emails. i would call him. Phone # is 618-357-8933 . Ed

13. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

Ed, thanks for info.
    regards, chuck

14. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

No Hippy hipshot3 has nothing to do with Stu. He just likes to shoot his mouth off. His mouth is located behind his hips ergo hipshot. Richard

15. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

Richard, all I can say is: "oh my" have a good day.
    regards, chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.