1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help! need coaching

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I need some help in figuring out why I am missing straight aways from Post #3. I am shooting a new for me gun with 70/30 patterns. I am shooting the angles just fine and shoot the Annies and cut throats just fine. I can not figure out why I am missing the straights from #3. Very frustrating. I would sure like some ideas on how to fix my problem. Suggestions welcome.
    John

2. missed some

missed some TS Member

Probably lifting your head to admire your work.3 things to remember. keep your head on the stock. keep your darn head on the stock. keep your gosh darned head on the stock. i cleaned it up a little haha. but wade pfost told me that 35 years ago...or so. mark crist

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Are you stopping the gun?

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Some times they are not straight a ways when you think they are. Everyone in the world thinks that shot is the easiest shot in trap but it is probably the most missed.

5. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A lot of shooters have fits with the straight away targets. What I usually see is a failure to wait for the target to pass the gun. You see the target come out of the house and move the gun upward before the bird passes the barrel. One of two things happen....you have to slow the barrel down to "wait" for the bird and you shoot under the target because the gun is slowing down, or you continue over the top of the target and shoot just over it. The second instance is more common with a higher shooting gun, ie.: 90/10 or 100% high.

Try letting the bird out of the house and getting a good look at it, then, accelerate the gun to and through the bird pulling the trigger as the bead touches the edge of the target. Remember a 42 mph target won't outrun 1000mph shot!

Hope this helps a bit,

Bob Schultz

6. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Try station 7 on the skeet field. These are low house straights.
    Follow through is very important. The follow-through on a true straight-away target is up. Try to follow the target, if missed , or the biggest piece of target if broken, all the way to the ground, after the shot. Also, kepp your cheek "welded" to the gun.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You might be cross firing. If you are a two eyed shooter try shooting the straight aways on post 3 with one eye. Close your non aiming eye and see if that solves the problem. HMB

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

goose. How do you not stop the gun on a strateaway? All good shooters stop the in the broen targeet. YOu do too. Only two ways to shoot. Use momentum thru thetarget to establish lead adn pull the trigger as you reach the front edge and other is to ride the target. Few good shooters ride the target

9. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Start your gun (hold point) off to the side of the center of the house. Maybe almost to the right edge on station 3. You will bring your gun to the straight away bird and won't think about the miss. On a slightly right bird it still won't be straight to your gun, kinda like your shooting an angleing bird. This will help keep your head down for the dreaded straight aways. Your not out anything by trying it. Good luck Ken.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

2500. I agree that will probably be a fix for him. Should have thought of that myself

11. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Try holding the gun a little firmer on post 3. Don't "jump the bird"

Call--HOLD--move to the bird.....

12. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Thanks to all of you. I will be out at the club this PM and work on it. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.