1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

help! need coaching

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Member

I have all of a sudden started missing straight away targets from # 3 post. Post 1 and 5 are fine but I just cleanly miss on the # 3 straights. I shoot a 70/30 pattern and can not tell f i am shooting high or low. Very frustrating!! I would appreciate any thoughts from fellow shooters on how to rectify this. I am shooting a fairly new gun for me. With this new gun I am shooting Annies and Cut throats just fine but missing the close in straight aways.
    Thanks for your advise
    john
  2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Time for a trip to the pattern board and a box of shells is in order to me. It is very difficult for a normapl person to tell exactly where you are shooting when you miss. Do a search on shot string.
  3. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

keep your head down
  4. coling

coling Member

At my first ATA shoot in Las Vegas a month ago, I missed the same shots multiple times.

After we were finished a squad member took me to a separate trap and reviewed my shooting.

On the easy straight aways, I was waiting til the bird floated at the top and then shot. My BT99 is set up to shoot high and the bird started to drop as I shot.

I later tried very late shots with sufficient downward lead to break them to understand what I was doing.

Next time I plan to work to shoot much earlier as the bird is rising and not waiting to the top.

Try it.

Colin
  5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The supposedly easy 'straight away' shot trips many of us a from time to time. A lot of things could be happening but my first guess is that you are doing some last instant bead checking and/or you are lifting your head up to watch the target break. Work through those possibilities first.
  6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

John, without seeing what your doing it would be impossible to say for sure what you are doing. What I have caught myself doing from time to time is moving the shotgun with my left arm up to the target. This will move your eye around on the barrel. So my strait shots start to get eractic. Remember to move gun barrel with your back at your hips and legs, this will keep your eye in the proper place and all will go back to normal. I find it is easy to start shooting properly, but later in 2,3 or 4 box as your body starts to tire it looks for a shortcut to save energy and that's when the problems can start. Its just hard to keep your eye in the proper place if you start moving the gun with your upper body or arms in any way. Good Luck with your shooting!!! break em all Jeff
  7. pufftarget

pufftarget Member

I would be interested to have an established coach such as Phil Kiner/Steve Carmichael to describe the move to the straight away target when shooting as a rising target vice holding a high gun and largely moving the gun horizontally only. I would argue the premise that the approach is to lean back at the waist to lift the gun to a rising target is wrong rather than driving to the target w/ the legs while moving the gun up w/ the forward hand while following the stock and barrel with the head and eyes.

Chuck
  8. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

"Straight away targets" are a myth.

js in PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.