1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! My Hornady 366 is making noises

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hilton55, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

I got a used Hornady 366 about 4 months ago and I love it. I'm able to crank out great looking shells with no fuss or bother. Here's my question: it's making a noise that I can't track down. At the bottom inch or two of the stroke, the machine makes a little squeaking/moaning sound. I've oiled all the friction points, including the platen drive bolts, and I can't figure out what's causing the noise. Any ideas? Thanks, John

2. 5screw

5screw TS Member

Mice?

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Take the shell plate off and make sure there is no shot/powder or other gunk underneath. I keep it nice and clean under there. You can even polish it with some fine steel wool. Then wipe clean and lube with some light oil. This is what i do.---Matt

4. 333t

333t Member

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the rear cam (the large plate with the angled slot) was rubbing on the shot cutoff plate near the bottom of the stroke. It's easy to fix. Just loosen the two bolts holding the cam on and tilt the cam back just a little bit and retighten. You could also file a little bit of metal off the back of the shut cutoff plate if that suits you better.

If the top front of the rear cam is worn shiny and you have a little metal dust at the bottom where the two bolts are, this is your problem.

Phil

5. grntitan

Phil---Good call that was an issue i had(metal fillings) early on but mine never made any noise. I have an Old Pacific w/full indexing and that sucker still purrs like a kitten.---Matt

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Mine has a slight noise every time I oil or spray it with lub ?? Go figure ??? Goes away after some use .

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Feed me, feed me, feed me............

8. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

My DL266 does this and it is where the operating lever contacts the casting on the right side just above the hole for the big rod that goes thru the base casting horizontially. There is no thrust washer so when the operating rod moves horizontally it allows the lever to contact the base casting. Mine squeeks.

I put a very small amount of sticky grease (lubriplate or Moly lube) applied with a very small paint brush to just the area of contact. You don't need much, less than a toothpick full, apply to the rod where it contacts the casting.

This worked for me.

Randy

9. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

My 366 had a squeal/chirp at the bearing mounted on charge bar. It had seized and wasn't rolling.

todd

10. grntitan

John---So did you get the noise fixed or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.