1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! My daughter got her permit OMG!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kim Little, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

We have been driving around in the Denali XL for safety reasons, but the V-8 engine is just too much for her lead foot. She broke her wrist driving the gator when she hit a fence post! I am looking at buying her
    car that is SAFE, but fuel efficient. I am considering the all wheel drive Subaru Imprenza and the Honda Civic. If you have experience with these vehicles please let me know the pros and cons. Any other vehicle recommendations would also be appreciated. Thank you, Kim

2. Joe O

Joe O Member

I gave my daughter a 95 Honda Civic When she was 16. She is now 22, out of college and has a fine job but still drives the Civic everyday. It gets great mileage, is easy to park, very reliable everything a young lady needs in a vehicle. It has 230,000 miles on it so she's starting to think about replacing it but she's putting money in savings every day and she's smart enough to know that it's keeping her transportation expenses very low. For their size they're very good in snow and have nice heaters for winter driving. We have no regrets about the Civic whatsoever. We're in Minnesota so it is driven in Real winters! Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps on goin'!
    Joe O

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Maybe a Schwinn? LOL

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

D8 Cat hahaha

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

You'll laugh.

Take a look at Mercedes. You can get nice, low mileage lease turn ins for a lot less than you'd think. A C class that a few years old isn't that much, compared to other cars....

they get good mileage, they have a zillion airbags, and they're reasonably sporty. I looked online, and you can get a fairly low mileage C class for the mid to high teens....

Lotta money for a car, sure...but it will last her forever if she takes care of it. I bought my wife and E class and i really like it...used to think that the 'luxury' cars were just a scam. Not hardly...drive one and you really see the difference.

6. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Lead-foot syndrome will occur with any motorized unit as you have learned with the Gator. Check the crash-test of different cars, get friendly with your insurance agent, and spend time trying to reach your daughters "speed-need" by endless driving evenings/weekends/etc.

Small cars are coffins on wheels (in my opinion). Imports are often worse in the crash-tests. Bottom-line is work with your daughter......

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I would suggest a low milage 04-05 Camry 4 cylinder. Look for one with ABS,Traction Control,Brake Assist,Brake Force Distribution & Vehicle Stability Control. It has lots of air bags & is at least a decent size. You will have to search hard for this but it will be worth it. Make sure any car you get has not been in a bad accident & has servicing records

8. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

Having raised three daughters myself, I will give you some related advice about young people starting to drive. Be ready when the car insurance bill arrives. My advice? 1.Find your favorite chair. 2. Pour yourself at least three fingers of your favorite whiskey. ( Beer isn't strong enough.) 3. Sit in your favorite chair with your glass of whiskey close by. 4. Open insurance bill.

When my oldest daughter turned 16 my insurance bill TRIPLED!!! It seems that when she completed drivers training at school, the school notified my insurance company about the presence of a young driver in my house.

Be ready.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

How about a full size 1 ton truck with 5 out of 8 spark plug wires yanked ; )

10. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

Go to the NHTSA website and look for 5 star safety rated vehicles. There are many good choices. With our kids, I have always favored the large car, small engine strategy so, a mid to large size car with a 4 cylinder would be ideal. Whatever you buy, make sure it has ABS brakes and Stability Control, the later is a must. If you live in snow country, a good set of winter tires are much better than All Wheel Drive for the heavy right foot drivers. GOOD LUCK!

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The best & safest car is the subaru but you need to remember that all those cars are unitized bodys with no real frame so if you really want protection buy a full size pickup or a toyota small truck. They have the toughest frames of all. The Toyota Tacoma has a frame that is the toughest I ever saw and I have repaired a lot of them. It is not a matter of if she will have an accident, it is when

12. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

When i was 16 Papa gave me a f150 4x4. Graduated HS and bought my first Dually. Dad had a shitfit when he saw how low the full coverage on the dually was vs liability on the 150. Talk to your insurance agent, might be cheaper to go with heavy duty instead of car.

Andrew

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Subaru the "best and safest car"- that's a good one.

14. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

As long as you wear you're seat belt the safest car on the road is the 500 class Mercedes. Just ask Princess Diana's Chauffeur and bodyguard who survived a 90 mph head on collision into a concrete pillar.

Don't make the mistake I did and get them a new car because you'll never see them again!

VW makes some nice cars with the Passat being one of the safest.. Good Luck!

15. JRW

JRW Member

Lead foot my daughter had one may still have one. In 1993 I bought a 93 Gran Prix to celabrate my divorce. I was on the freeway 75 mph when a old pontiac 6000 went by. It was my baby I had to go 100 to catch her lost her keys for a week. You would have thought I had slit her throat. Jerry

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You can get her a 1960ish VW bug. Talk about a slow car. LOL Buy her a Volvo for safety reasons. No turbo, 4 cylinder. Good car.

17. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

god love you!!! have been there ...It does get better... hard to teach her after 3 boys...

18. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Why not a gas guzzler, she will not afford to drive very much.

19. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Buying her a Subaru may turn her into a lesbian!!!

My oldest son turns 16 in a week or so, so I feel your pain. Whatever happened to the $600 first car? I have been totally shocked the last few months at used vehicle prices. $2000-$3000 for 15-20 year old vehicles??
    I've been looking for a decent used Ford ranger or Chevy S-10. 2wheel drive, regular cab ( so he can't haul the entire shooting squad around). These little trucks are hard to find around here.

20. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I am so glad that I started this thread. An old truck hadn't even crossed my mind but I think I am going to look into one. I did hear the old mercedes and the Volvo's were also good choices from the body shop. The truck interests me because when my husband left, he took the truck with him and it would be nice to have a truck around. Thank you for all your suggestions. Kim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.