1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help: MX-8 ejection problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ral, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ral

Ral TS Member

MX-8 ejects some perfect, some barely and some not at all, getting frustrated, any suggestions?

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Also what is the age and ventage of the gun. You have need to replace the springs and/or have the ejector trips worked on. Also... how clean are the chanbers.

TB

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Time to see a P friendly gunsmith and have the timing checked on the ejectors.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

As the guys above asked, you need to be a little more clear on the problem.

Does the gun ejects (or not) fine during dry-firing. This will let us know if it's a mechanical timing issue.

If it only happens during the firing of live ammo, it's highly the ammo. Especially the cheaper stuff. Try a box of AA's and/or STS's. If they work fine, you'll have your answer.

There's not much you can do with the steel based shells to get them to eject consistantly. Just make surethe chamber is clean and polished smooth.

After reading the dozens of posts here on TS.com, the problem isn't make and model of gun specific. It radomly affects all of them. Some get lucky, others not.

Doug Braker

5. Ral

Ral TS Member

gun dr, thanks for your reply as well as all the other guys, It does eject every time when I dry fire, I have tried to go slower, it doesn't help, I polished the chambers last night, they were dirty, haven't test fired it yet. What do you mean by 'mechanical timing problem'? have tried several kinds of shells all seem to eject the same

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Mechaincally...would be, as the gun opens, at what point will the ejector sears let the ejectors trip.

You say it works fine while dry firing, so it's highly unlikely a mechanical "timing" issue.

Let us know what brand of ammo you've been shooting.

Doug

7. Ral

Ral TS Member

Doug, thanks so much for taking the time to help me, i really appreciate it. I have been shooting 1 oz reloads using a sts hull and clays powder, chart shows 1185 per second. a little faster than I used to shoot. I will attend a shoot this weekend and have bought a flat of top guns to try, I will let you know how it works out. Do you think the light shells could be the problem, I load really nice reloads.

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I would think that the STS's should eject, unless they were a little deformed in the brass from the start. Were the shells run through the resizer.

When you open the gun, does the head of the brass lay flat with the bbl breech or will they rise about 1/8".

Maybe TB's suggestion of new ejector springs may help. There is only one spring for each ejector, not two like is found on the TM-1.

Doug

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Check the ejector trip rods ("L" shaped on sides of receiver).

You can test these buy removing the stock and push/tap forward after a hammer fall. Pushing the rod forward should always trip the ejector sear.

These can wear at their forward tip to the point that they don't travel far enough forward when the hammer falls (hammer taps it forward).

I have removed these and tapped the 90ยบ portion just enough to increase the angle slightly. Too bid a rap and the rod breaks. This has cured the problem every time (the trip rod was the culprit).

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.