1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! Mid bead broke, need quick temp fix.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hazmat, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazmat

Hazmat TS Member

Guys, I am going to the Willows with my boss and other co-workers on Wed 4/28...I promised one of the guys he could borrow my older Browning Citori to use. When I pulled it out last night to clean and oil it, I found the mid bead was broken off and not in the case, I called some gun shops but so far no one can fix it in time here in St. Louis. Has any one ever tried some sort of temporary replacement (I don't have the bead itself) , or is there a magnetic mid bead I can buy for a temp fix?

Will appreciate any advice, Bob McCann, O'Fallon, MO

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Honestly Bob, I simply wouldn't worry about it. Anything you do is likely to be more distraction than help.

3. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Shoot it without and you may be surprised to learn that you like that better

I have not had a mid bead since 1985

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Find a small, round head pin, like the ones that come with a new shirt. Use black electrical tape to attach it to the rib.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I haven't used a midbead in years. I'm with zzt as it is a non-issue.

ss

6. guerini

guerini TS Member

Shooting Trap? No mid-Bead needed..

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I shot my first round of trap when I was twelve and didn't even know shotguns came with a mid-bead. Never needed them for rabbits and birds. LOL. Wayne

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

I bet the mid bead has caused more confusion than any other shooting accessory.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

The advice of just ignoring it is undoubtedly best, but if you just absolutely gotta put on a replacement, find a small white bead like from a map pin or (gulp) swipe a bead from one of your wife's necklaces and glue it on the rib until you can find a gunsmith to replace. Best Regards, Ed

10. Hazmat

Hazmat TS Member

Thank you all for the advice, personally I have always used a mid bead, but so many of you think it's unnecessary I just let it go for now. If my buddy wants a mid bead , he can buy his own gun I guess :)

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Hazmat excellent idea

12. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

Try cutting a peice of 14 ro 18 ga. electrical wire and use super glue to to the rib.
    Find out if the original was pressed in or threaded.
    If threaded You will need to redrill and tap the hole to reinstall a new bead.
    If you know what size the threads are I have 3 X 56 thread brass and alum. beads that are .067 and .130 diam. And .067 diam. 6 x 48 stainless steel I think that is what it is made of. Each are $3.00. sent by USPS.
    Send me a personal message.

Thank's,
    Tom

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Citori center beads are pressed in, they have a tapered spring steel cone that holds them.

It should be a simple matter to find any damn thing that fits on the housing and glue it. If you have to, cut the remainder of the old one off flush.

Like even a drop of glue, use white out on it after it dries.

HM

14. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

You are halfway to having the perfect rib. Now take the front one off and you can start shooting targets and forget about your barrel/rib.

15. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Had the same thing happen...picked a #9 pellet off the reloading bench, a drop of crappy old glue-perfect YMMV. Cheers-Graham.

16. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Blacken the stump with a Magic Marker.

Jere

17. JAF1680

JAF1680 TS Member

Magnetic Bead Instructions
    - Go to Claire's or some other shop with cheap jewelery
    - Get a small magnetic earring. These are actually quite strong as they are made to attach one side to the other with someone's ear in between.
    - Break the jewel off (unless you're into that kind of thing).
    - Place "magnetic bead" in appropriate location on rib.
    - Don't knock if off on the gun rack, and it will stay in place even with recoil. (I know from personal experience.)

Good luck

Slick Mick thanked this.
  18. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Have you checked all of the gun shops if you must have a mid-bead? MidWest Gun Works @ Peveley, Art's Gun and Sport in Hillsboro, The Shotgun Shop in Arnold, Nu-Line in Rhineland?

DoubleAuto

19. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

No Bead no problem......I have not shot one since 1990. My scores are not as good as Mr. Kiner's but my guess is better than yours.........try it like it.

GS

20. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

You mentioned Browning & St. Louis. Why don't you drive over to Browning in Arnold. I had a center bead broken off of my Citori. I shot it that way for two years (I don't really think they are that important). Anyway, I had it repaired by Browning at the Grand, took about 5 minutes to replace. I couldn't believe how fast they did it. I watched & was amazed, can't beat having the right tools & talent. Maybe they could fix you up, it's worth a try. Colonel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
add a mid bead
bead broke off shotgun

broken center bead for browning crossover

browning mid bead
browning middle bead
browning shotgun mid bead replacement
magnetic mid bead shotgun
magnetic mid beads