Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help me recommend/find a gun for a new shooter

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  A201 
#1 ·
I took my cousin shooting for the first time on Monday. She really enjoyed it and wants to purchase a gun.

She's petite, maybe 5'4" with fairly short arms. My Benelli autoloader was too big /long for her and somewhat uncomfortable to shoot.

Her budget is around $500 so I was thinking that maybe an 870 would be solid option. I tried to sell her on the idea of a BT-99 Micro but she can't spend $1000 right now.

Is there a model of an 870 that is smaller than normal? Or another gun that would be a good option?

#3 ·
BPS is o.k. and I love them, but pump doubles is tough. I would say a youth model 1100. You can buy them all over used for $400. to 600.00 dollars. Kick eez pad and modified or improved mod. choke.
Our youth shooters use ours all the time and do fantastic right out of the gate with them.

Primedust

#6 ·
buzz-gun - how does a 12ga shoot farther than a 20 ga. 1 oz of shot at 1150 out either gun is going the same. AL 3901, the 1100 are the best bets and stick to 12 ga. as you will just be stuck with the 20 a little ways down the road.

rm

#7 ·
If you have a big enough club, ask around and let her try out different shotguns. If your club has any women shooters, you should find ones that are short enough for her.

You are going to have to cut down a 870 unless you find one that its been done to already.

Pumps are ok as a trap gun and so is one in 20 gauge for beginners.

I have a nice Std weight 870 in 20 gauge for $375 shipped to your FFL if interested in something along that line.

#9 ·
Yakima,

The 20 ga weighs less, and the load can be scaled down to what is comfortable for her.

I see women like her at the range all too often, swinging guns that are too heavy for them, not able to make good moves to the target and put together the bird-gun relationship that allows them to excel - usually under the tutelage of "7/8 and 1 oz. 12 gauge" hacks.

If a 12 gauge gun is light enough to be comparable to a 20...then that 1 oz. load isn't going to be a light recoil load anymore.

#10 ·
A gas operated autoloader in 12 ga will kick less or equal to a 20 ga pump or over under. 1100 12 ga is the best bet. If she is not going to grow anymore then just get an old 1100 field with a 28 inch mod choked barrel for 275 to 350. Have the stock cut to her required L.O.P. and a real soft pad installed.
total investment 375 to 425. Stocks for 1100's are cheap and all over ebay if you need another one. I learned the hard way with my 4 kids. Stay away from pumps as they kick too hard and over unders as they also kick and are heavy. Down the road if she really takes to the sport you can pick up a trap barrel
and monte carlo wood for it.

#11 ·
joe90t is dead on right--lite weight-low recoil and wont devalue--how can you beat a beretta auto and 28in barrel---if she buys it and doesnt work out(and it will)-let me know i'll find a home for it!! wally riebesell

#12 ·
A 20 ga. in any configuration is a very poor choice for a new shooter's first gun for trap,take Joe 90ts offer, I would not sell my 28in 302 for that, plus, sorry to say the Beretta is by far the sofest kicker and a good bit lighter to boot. In short a bargain. At that price it will be easy to get your money back when the time comes. Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.