1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP ME HELP YOU

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

This is a plea for your help that I shared on another thread. Please read and "help me help YOU"!

The WSRC may just fail. Illinois is, indeed, in big financial difficulty and I can imagine it closing sooner than later. It could have been a great boost to the ATA and all the members of the organization but it has not prospered.

The single greatest reason is the obstacle of the Cardinal Center and the larger shoots held there in close proximity to the Grand that very effectively blocks the north eastern North American shooters. Consequently, the CC has become just as much competition for the Grand as if it were held the same week.

There was never a doubt that the Ontario/Michigan/Ohio/Pennsylvania and New York shooters would shy away from the Grand in Illinois with the CC sitting there. It is truly formidable competition.

It's a near certainty that the WSRC will fail as long as things remain the same .... but I'll also predict that Mr. Fishburn is probably tired of subsidizing the OSTA without much profit to show for it and will probably not be willing to spend his heirs' inheritance on one huge, difficult to run trap shoot that has never shown a big profit (in fact, has often lost money, even when it was in Vandalia). Anybody who knows anything about running a registered trapshoot today knows that the profit margin is slight. The ATA can't afford to withdraw it's sanctioning of the OSTA shoots so we are stuck with an untenable lose/lose situation.

The ATA's only way out of this predicament is to increase active ranks. All the in-fighting is nothing but destructive. The ATA has limited funds that the EC is afraid to turn loose for the promotion that is sorely needed. That's what all of the membership should demand. It doesn't have to be a grandiose "MBA" type marketing campaign like was tried and failed in the past but a "sales blitz" that simply goes out and ASKS FOR THE BUSINESS!!!!!!!!! It all starts with our strengths ... the thousands of shooters already breaking clay targets at the so called "feeder" clubs. If you want to know more about it have your state delegate contact me and I am willing to give of my time and sales experience to get things rolling. I'll be the first to ASK FOR THE BUSINESS.

It's a sure thing, folks. A good sales effort always works when you have a great product to sell ... and I think we can all agree that trapshooting is a great product.

It's time to wake up and institute a promotional membership drive type program that is the single only salvation of organized trapshooting we have left. We can't keep eating ourselves folks.

Please help me by letting your state delegates know that there is a better way to heal the organization.

Thanks for listening. Bear.

2. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Just like our own government, Barry, us folks in the ATA, NEED, to change from a "ME" mentality to a "WE" mentality. As they say, there is no I in team and the the team approach has been abandoned for the power and greed of a few.

When I started shooting (1997), I had no conception of the politics involved in such a fun sport (and somewhat vicious -- I might add). I will remain optimistic about the future of the ATA and the Grand.

As usual, I'm here to help. Let me know....merlyn

3. Barry C. Roach

All shooters paid ATA fees at the Grand. They're rolled into the entry fees.

4. Barry C. Roach

Contact you delegate Merlyn. Let them know there is a plan. We need pressure on them from the grassroots. All journeys start with a single step.

5. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Barry..You know the Grand has been losing shooters since the first shoot in 2006..When has the EC, BOD ever listened to the membership, they can't give away OUR money fast enough. They paid out $3 MILLION dollars just to find Sparta.

If the Grand in Sparta wants to surpass the first year they were there, they are going to have to provide more rooms, more restaurants etc..Who is going to build these facilities in the middle of downtown nowhere?

You know me Barry, I'm not a Sparta basher, it is a first class facility, nothing like it in the world, BUT it is big time overkill and no infrastructure.....Sorry...

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They did, do as I say, not as I do ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. 548

548 Guest

Those who can afford to travel and shoot; travel and shoot. Those who can not; do not. The change in membership numbers is a reflection of the changing fiscal dynamics of the american family.

The middle class is disappearing faster than at any time in our history. $38/100 targets plus $32 for premium ammunition to shoot the hundred multiplied by three one hundred bird events each day is $210 just to shoot. Double that if you have a kid shooting with you. Conservatively add $50 for gas, $50 for food, and $120 for a hotel room everday for a grand total of $640 per day to shoot an event like the Grand American with your son or daughter.

Mr. Roach, I respectfully suggest to you that there is no amount of advertising the ATA can do to change those economics.

8. Barry C. Roach

Please don't turn this thread into a pissing match. It's a plea for your help, not your opinion of what's happened in the past. I only care about "where do we go from here", so if you would please contact your delegate and have them contact me. Respectfully, Barry.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Barry, I applaud your thoughts on wanting the sport to grow, I feel we all do.

From what I've read posted here by Neil W. in the past, we don't have a problem attracting new blood every year. We do have a very big problem keeping them around long enough for them to hook themselves though! Till that problem is solved, keeping new members is still going to be a primary problem for ATA.

I agree with you a good salesman can sell ice water to Eskimos at least once, but, to keep them coming back for more? My delegate is aware of how I feel towards growing our sport but I'll tell him again.

HAP

10. Two Dogs

My delegate is Paul Shaw...I'm sure he will really want to help....

11. Barry C. Roach

I'm not talking about advertising. Advertising is a function of Marketing. I am not a marketeer. I'm a face-to-face salesman asking for your help, not your criticism.

12. Barry C. Roach

I know who your delegate is Bill. Call him up and strongly suggest he speak with me asap. I know he respects your opinion. I'm asking for your help ... don't let me down.

13. Two Dogs

I'll do what I can Barry...

14. Barry C. Roach

Hap. Sales is not over after the first sale. Anyone can sell something once. I developed a relationship with my customers. I never stopped contacting them and boosting my pitch. I do agree with you that the ATA has never done much to retain new shooters ... about the same amount of effort as they've done to get the yearly new shooters ... nothing.

Those annual new shooters are nurtured from the grassroots and word of mouth. After we get them the ATA fails miserably in continuing a dialog with them, both directly and through there home clubs.

Call your delegate, Hap ... Please. Barry

15. Barry C. Roach

Thanks Two Dogs. I have a great respect for Paul and need to ask him for his help too. Bear.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Barry, I'll call him tomorrow morning and ask him to give you a call.

HAP

17. Barry C. Roach

Many thanks Hap. Your my hero.

18. Barry C. Roach

Why don't you start your own thread and find out what you want to know. You are sadly misinformed and need to go elsewhere for your answers. I'm trying to promote organized trapshooting and you want to fight over minutia. We need positive ideas to go ahead not negative BS from you.

19. Barry C. Roach

It will if we don't start supporting and promoting it. I fear it may be too late. You, as an advocate for Bunker Shooting know that without organized trapshooting, in general, part of your pool of prospective Olympians will dry up. We desperately need your help too. Eventually, if we are successful in convincing the ATA to join us, we can join forces with all the other clay target organizations.

I fear that the only people that can save the WSRC and the ATA are new and sustained members that must be asked to join us ... then continually contacted and asked to sustain their interest. It shouldn't be, but it will be a revolutionary effort for the ATA. Please contact all the influential folks you know and let them know that a grassroots efforts is in the works. Word of mouth is very powerful.

"Join or Die"
    Bear

20. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I wish we could make shooting grow but how do you make a sport grow that is under attack all the time. The gun control politics, the media, it is a never ending battle. PLUS SHOOTING IS EXPENSIVE. Not saying the bass fishing isn't but money is hard to come by for the sport for to many people. I hope we can find a way to grow shooting sports. I coached 4H for several years had a lot of kids but none that I know of still shoot regularly. I read the post on here and the people jump on anyone that doesn't agree with them attack the value of sales. And the obsession with sandbagging is unbelievable. You have to love it to put up with a lot of what goes on. How do you get people to put the sport above there own agenda is a good question. Barry I hope you find a answer, Sparta is a great shooting range but it has a lot of problems that make it easy to find a reason not to attend. I don't enjoy going there. If I had a camper and was shooting several days I would go. I looked forward to the old Grand went and never even shot. It is going to take time and effort for this fight to heal. Good luck. Tom

PS Never have been to CC.