1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP ME, DID I SCREW UP BADLY?????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ddrsuz, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I was hanging out yesterday waiting for my turn to shoot. I had grabbed a few shells of leftover ammo that I had lying around so it wouldn't be sitting on the kitched table anymore. While I was waiting for my squad, I fired off a round on the pattern board. Later, someone called it to my attention that I had shot steel shot down my barrel with a full choke in it. No bubble at the end of the barrel.........did I mess up real bad????

d

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Less of a problem if they were smaller sized pellets. Can you still remove the choke tube? Or is it a fixed choke? I'm thinking one shell is less of a problem than continual shooting. You could run a bore gauge down it and see if there is a problem. Mark

3. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I would`nt worry about it, especially if it was smaller sized shot.

They shoot steel through fulls all the time at my club. I`m talking about target loads.

Regards, Pete

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The bigger issue is that if your "patterning board" is one of the steel plate variety like my club has, its absolutely INSANE to shoot steel shot at it, because it will come right back at you.

5. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I got home late last night, so I haven't tried to take the choke out yet, if getting it out is a problem, then I was figuring I would have to replace it. Sure felt stupid, tho.........kinda like one of those leadins to a Darwin story.

d

6. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

skeetman- good point, I never was into the steel pattern boards, I always get the goo all over me when I roll it out. In this case, the board was indeed steel plate, but we have arched the plate to minimize the possiblity of bounce back, even from lead shot.

d

7. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

It should be alright. I know of people who shoot steel thru a full choke all the time.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It will not damage it unless you fire hundreds through it

9. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Since the shot is in the plastic wad I don't see a problem. and I hear some clubs require steel shot. So I'm thinking it is cool. anyone know for sure?

10. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I shot steel shot through a fixed full for years until someone told me different. I still would if I used that gun for water fowl. It didn't seem to hurt anything. Not saying it couldn't!!! I bet your fine.

11. Bluedotman

Bluedotman Active Member

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Space Gun it's not the steel shot rubbing the barrel so much as it is the steel not giving as it passes through the choke. Lead shot will give and mash into each other, steel not so easy. It can rupture old fixed choke barrels and non steel rated choke tubes in some cases.

I wouldn't worry about one or two shots, if it was damaged it would probably be obvious.

13. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

thanks folks, I will be a good boy from here on out and stick to my loads that I know what is in them. I checked them for gauge, length and dram reference, but did not think about the impact of steel shot. Glad I may not have paid to dearly, except my pride......................heck, I flushed that down the drain years ago.

d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.