1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me Advise a Wheelchair Shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

To say the least I am not a great shooter but I have helped many people getting started in shooting over the years. A friend of mine from many years ago has shown interest in trapshooting . She has a T5 spinal injury. If you have shot from the WC and can advise me in helping her , please let me know. One of the things I need the most is what kind of belt or device do we need so that she can lean forward while stabilizing her in the chair. She has good hand eye coordination and I believe she will be a fine shooter, she has the " eye of the tiger" that you can't teach. I have loaded 7/8 loads for her while she is learning and let her use a modified Browning BT 99, I had Briley redo the barrel making it 29 5/8 inches long.

Charlie

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Charlie, Frank Kenesky is the trap chairman at the Hegins Trap Club in Hegins, Pennsylvania and is a chairshooter with, I believe, more than back problems to overcome but he does so very well. I moved in February and had to change email services, so I no longer have his email address but I'm sure another shooter who knows Frank will come along. I know its "perazzi-something"@ptd.net but that's as close as I can come.

Ed

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

hello charlie. I worked with one of the fellows at my club and a few things I learned that helped hi,. He used a belt around his chest to secure him to the chair so he can swing. He uses a long piece of material with velcro on the ends . He shoots a 390 field gun that he does fairly well with. Maybe think about a 3901 with the reduced length stock. Either gun allows you to raise the stock with the shims to fit better. The reduced length may fit her better and the reduced recoil of the gas gun makes it more comfortable to shoot. Angle the chair on the line just the same as a shooter will stand so she shoots 45 degrees across her body. If you ever watched the d lee braun trap video showing the line across your toes should be about the same as the extreme left angle target the chair should be about the same. Just the reverse if she is left handed. Good luck. Motordoc

4. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Charlie and Ed.......The President and CEO of Hegins Trap Club is a fine person. His e-mail.....perazzi1@ptd.net....if you are going to shoot at his Club on a Saturday; call ahead for some times he closes early...run'em

5. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Check my column in the August issue of Trap and Field.
    Also Rick Nelson, Ray Pummel, and Jim Foster (all are great chairshooters) have told me that they would be glad to talk to any of the chair shooters that contact them.

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I sent you a PM Charlie.

7. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Charlie,

Since you are in PA., talk to Tim Doyle if you know him. He lives near Erie.

The belt you speak of is a weight lifters belt. Available at most sporting goods stores.

Philip Santos

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Good for you Rick. You are quality person and as Mr. Kiner says a hell of Chair shooter.

Bob Lawless

9. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

I am a chair shooter and my level of injury is T5-T6. I have been shooting trap for 3 years. I use a weight lifting belt to hold me in my chair. I purchased it at academy sports but you can probably find one at any sports store that deals with weights. It not a leather one but made od a nylon type material that is flexible and can be tightened and secured with velcro. I have shot BT 99's and other single barrel trap guns and have found the recoil a little much. I now shoot a 391 with 7/8 oz loads and the recoil is very mild and when I do my job crushes the targets. If i can help in any way please let me know.

Thad Bellow

10. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

I sponsor one the Vet wheelchair shooters. Great group of guys travel all over to schools churchs ect. talking with the kids setting up shoots fish and hunt trips. They are also very good trap shooters. George the gentalmen we sponsor said if there is any they can help to call him rightaway. And I'm sure everyone here on TS will do the same. pm me if you need his number.

Bruce

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

lock your wheels before calling pull

12. Charlie Becknell

I certainly appreciate all of your advice and I know Judy will also. I told her last night she would get a kick out of beating her instructor, seems to alway happen to me sooner or later. She was canting the gun quite a bit last night but I believe this is mainly a stability issue. She said she is strong on using her arms going down but will work on increasing her strength going up.

Charlie

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I also would be glad to help in any way I can. I didn't shoot from a wheelchair but I had to shoot from a stool for a couple years when health problem and obesity made it a necessity. I managed to stay fairly successful posting a few centuries and a 200 straight from the stool. PM me if you would like me to assist.

14. Charlie Becknell

I will try to be in touch with all of you in the near future, and again thank you. The trapshooting community has to be among the most generous people in the sorld of sports.

Charlie

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Clips from 31st National Veterans Wheelchair Games held in Pittsburgh PA

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jtI1_7gliMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Phil Ross is an advertiser on this website. Check out his banner ad at the top right corner. He may have some insight for your friend.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

BTW, Phil Ross shoots from a chair. He made the transition from a standing to a chairshooter rather quickly. I believe he also has a chairshooting syllabus/article that he sells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

phil ross great trap shooter