1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help loading AA hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cwbanker, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwbanker

cwbanker Member

When loading AA hulls with an Alliant Powder recommended load (19 gr Red Dot, Winchester 209 primer, Claybuster 1100-12 wad and 1oz #8 shot) on my Mec 9000 the crimp bulges. If I fool with the pressure on the crimps, the shell buckles. I have checked everything (press is dropping the correct powder charge and weight of shot)and wad height indicator and crimp station adjustments.

Loading Federal shells with the paper base wad on my press come out perfect. I am convinced my problem relates to the tapered plastic base wads in the AA hulls. Is there a wad that works better in the AA hulls?

Thanks,

Joel Schram
    Yuma, AZ

2. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Try around 20 lbs of wad pressure this may help.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is this wad for the 1oz. If it is try a 11/8 wad. Ive done this and its made a big difference in the crimp. eliminates the little hole.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Lower crimp starter until the bulges go away. No need to do anything else.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I had the same problem with the CB1100's using a PW 800+. I changed to Green Dusters - problem solved.

The CB1100 will work in the STS or Gun Club hull.

I think the base of the wad catches on the two piece AA hull and causes the problem.

Don

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Winchester wads have vertical grooves on the over powder cup and they fit nicely into the AA hull. I dunno about CB wads.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The new AAs have a ridge that the wad catches on before it gets all the way down. That could be the problem. HMB

8. Mojo

Mojo Member

Had the problem myself. Wasted too much time to be worth it. I switched to
    Remington STS hulls and Downrange Wads. The hull is a slick plastic as are
    the virgin plastic wads. They also stay cleaner even when reloaded many
    times.

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I use the allmost same load and components and machine ( mec 9000H ),,,(execept 17.5 gr 700X),,,,have done 25,000 shells,,,as he said above try the crimp starter,,after that station should have a small hole in the top of shell,,,when all else fails read the manaul or call mec,,,,they will walk you thru it,,,,the CB 1100-12 is for STS and Win AA both are taper wall hulls,,,,I use allmost no wad seating pressure,,,just enough to see the indcator twitch

10. Don S

Don S Member

I have loaded WW hulls using CB 1100 wads for years without problems. When a hole develops in the middle of the crimp, lower the wad starter station and it goes away.

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Joel: I experienced the same problems with AA hulls. I finally got fed up with this inferior hull, (in my opinion), and switched to loading only STS or Gun Clubs. Haven't had a problem since. Whatever the excuse is for this to happen to the AA hull is of no interest to me. Life's too short to load these hulls. Many years ago I would load nothing but AA's. Not so today. Ed

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

cwbanker, There is nothing inherently wrong with the AA that would keep you from getting good results. The Claybuster's will work fine in the AA, that's what they are made for. Is the overall finished length of the shell correct?

13. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Winchester hulls and Winchester wads work great.

I used to load the claybuster wads and would get a crumpled shell occasionally.

The AA hulls have a sleeve in the bottom (for holding the powder) that was added to the newer hulls. The old style AA hulls don't have this sleeve.

The Winchester wads are .010 on the diameter smaller than most other wads so they will slip into that sleeve.

Kevin

14. cwbanker

cwbanker Member

JerryP,

Finished length is fine. I used the 1-1/8 oz. Claybusters and they load perfectly. I have broken my crimp starter so I have new parts ordered. The feedback I have received here along with a private e-mail has given me new hope. Thanks! Joel

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Bucko43, A wad exerts no downward pressure on the walls of the hull, how can it cause the hull to buckle?

16. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

I only load 7/8 loads with my AA hulls. Clay busters or Down-Range wads work just great. STS's for all other loads.

Joe

17. cwbanker

cwbanker Member

I have resolved my problem. All I needed to do was reset my final crimp deeper and the shells are now coming out perfect. Thanks to all that responded here or by e-mail. I have renwed confidence that this forum does work.

18. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

JerryP,
    Occasionally the claybuster wads would sit on top of the flange of the sleeve in the bottom of the AA hull, and once the shot would drop, the wad would be too high in the hull and the final crimp wouldn't close the hull completely on the end. Sometimes it would cause the hull to crumple on the side due to the pressure. I've also tried downrange wads, (very similar in diameter to the claybuster) and they will hang up on that flange as well. The Winchesters just continually work the best and never hang up.

19. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

Try using yellow AA wad. It's about 1/16 of an inch shorter,that helped me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.