1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! Live In NY And Going To Retire. ? WHERE TO ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cyrus, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Live In Long Island, New York, 30 mins. from the Cement Jungle. Crazy Taxes and a Rat Race Life Style. What would be a good area for a husband and wife (both shooters) to retire to. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If I was buying in Florida it would be the Palm Coast. A minimum of ten clubs within two hours. Trap, skeet, sporting.

Make Flagler your home club and don't look back.

Comfortable temps in the winter. Traffic is pretty light compaired to other parts of Florida.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Some real bargains on homes in Las Vegas.as an I live in Idaho and like it a lot but my son lives in Vegas and the more I visit the more I like it. I had a winter home in Naples florida for years when I lived in Indiana. Now that I have lived in the west ( AZ, Wash, Idaho) I would never go back to Florida. The dry climate of the Northwest is unbeatable. The Nevada and Arizona heat are ok with me but some dont like it

4. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

We moved to South Carolina a couple of years ago to rid ourselves of the New York taxes, high prices etc.

We are in the Santee area but really, had it not been for the in-laws we would have looked ore closely at the Spartenburg-Greenville area. Up there you would have two close by clubs in SC plus 40 miles north you would have the North Carolina Homegrounds club in Bostic....

We are returning summers to NY to get out of the SC heat, but really enjoy the slower pace of life, and cheap living down here. Just a for instance..Gas lasst week $3.43 per gallon...Vehicle sales tax MAXIMUM $300.00...Property taxes, although you pay a vehicle tax each year is still less than half of what we paid in NY, and that includes a motor home and new truck...Nice to have a few bucks left over each month...
    Dave in SC

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Best to become a "snow bird". Stay in FL. Nov. through mid May and live (rent) in the northeast. I have a beautiful N.H. residence in the White mountains that I rent to folks just like you. Reasonable/affordable and so nice. Shooting,fishing,golf,shopping,restaurants -it's all there. Dennis.

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I attended my 50th High School reunion last evening and was amazed how many are retired in the Carolinas. Many have been there quite a long time and loving it.

Regards....Gerald

7. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Chugwater Wyoming has a nice ring to it in the spring, summer, fall and most of the trapclubs in Arizona have semi-permanent hook-ups for snow-birds and Casa Grande has some good bargains in permanent housing.

Florida, na, West is best........JMHO.......merlyn

8. JEB

JEB Active Member

After 60+ years on the North Shore, from Port Washington to Centerport, my wife and I moved to Prescott AZ about two years ago. We love it here. Prescott is an old cowboy town that has not forgotten its roots. Doc Holiday, Wyatt Earp and a 5 day rodeo every year around the 4th of July. There is a real old west feel, and it's Tea Party country. All of our neighbors have horses, we don't, shooting is expensive enough but my wife rides. Elevation is 5,000' up so you get four seasons. Some snow in the winter but its usually gone by the afternoon unless you are above 6,000' and a few mid 90's days in the summer. But it is dry, dry, dry with very little rain. Some say Prescott has the best climate in the USA. I think that I wore a winter jacket twice last year while shooting. Taxes compared to LI - no comparison. We are paying about 16% of Suffolk/Huntington rates. The properties are different, a lot of land vs Centerport harbor but that should even out. Even better, no LIPA; electrical rates are less than half and everything is underground. Our heating however is by propane, not as much as oil or National Grid gas, but not cheap. We have well water but closer to town there is city water. The cost of living here is substantially less, lowest gas in the country for example, but there are exceptions. Car registration is one. Prescott has a good hospital and md's, and Phoenix with the Mayo Clinic is two hours away.

As for shooting, there is a local club that is open four days a week. It is good for practice, but unfortunately they gave up registered shooting a few years ago. For that we go to Ben Avery, an hour and twenty minute drive, which is a world class facility. In AZ shoots are south in the winter and north in the summer. There is no shortage of registered targets. Cost is around $5.50 per round. Incidentally my wife Karen is the AZ State Ladies High Overall and High All Around champ. She puts me to shame.

We have antelope all over the place including our back yard occasionally, mule deer, elk up north, quail and doves. Tomorrow evening we plan on some dove shooting about a mile from our home.

We miss good Italian food, (pizza is ok however), the water, family, friends, and Peconic River Sportsmans Club. However we have made some great friends here - both shooters and non shooters, and all of the family has visited. Our neighbors are terrific. I was immediately invited to a monthly poker game, $20 pot, which became a great way to meet people. Another up side is the views. Coming from the Island, it is hard to imagine being able to see 100 miles to the north from our house and have local mountains on the south. No water but open range with lots of cattle. It really has to be seen to be understood.

Give Prescott a look and e mail me if you would like to talk.

John Bergman

9. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

We have lived in many spots, Wash DC, Long Beach CA, Paris France Moscow, Canberra among others
    We find that Virginia Beach VA is as about a favorable spot as you can get all things considered-good Hospital system (Sentara), reasonable cultural attractions, ocean and beach, 30+ golf courses, reasonable access for air travel, housing prices and tax rates reasonable, several local universities, Old Dominion U (graduate MBA) Regent U. Norfolk State etc

if interested give us an email bill.myers@cox.net (cell 757-651-1310)
    full disclosure
    both my wife and self are real estate agents

10. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

hi john an karen glad all is good also glad karen is smoking them this is bob marchica from the peconic the skeet shooter we share a dinner table yrs ago t c best wishes bob an rhoda

11. JEB

JEB Active Member

Hi Bob,

Nice to hear from you, hope all is well. They even allow skeet shooters in Prescott, but of course their taxes are higher.

John

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

No place is ideal year around or for all purposes.

If you outline what you're looking for - in addition to shooting - you could get more worthwhile suggestions.

In 1911 my dad who liked to trapshoot moved from Wales to Spokane WA and lived there until he died.

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

No place is ideal year around or for all purposes.

If you outline what you're looking for - in addition to shooting - you could get more worhwhile suggestions.

In 1911 my dad who liked to trapshoot moved from Wales to Spokane WA and lived there until he died.

14. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

sounds good been shooting some trap an my p gun is on its way back with 12 ga trap barrel high rib gd shooting bob

15. torqueman

torqueman Member

If you want to stay in NY and dont mind cold weather saratoga county is nice. I moved he from LI 8 years ago and like it alot. cheaper taxes great people and only 3hrs from NYC or Boston ,great hunting in the ADKs and many sportsman clubs. Only County IN NY IN THE BLACK! NOT MANY POLITICIANS! GOOD LUCK MINUTE MAN JOE

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, this gives my wife and I some very good food for thought. You opened up a lot of interesting potential areas. Always good to get feedback from people who have tried different locations. Always looking for info, if anyone has any other suggestions please send them on the way. Thanks, Cyrus

17. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Torqueman, I have to take issue with your comments about Saratoga County being the only NY County in the Black. Ontario County is doing just fine and growing in spite of obama. Located in the Fingerlakes area and there are close to 40 Gun Clubs within a 50-60 mile radius of Canandaigua, the County seat. 7-1/2% sales tax. 45 min. to Rochester, 1-1/2 hrs to Syracuse and the NYS Homegrounds. Larry Evans

18. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Palm Coast is ok, the dining in the area is mediocre-unless you drive to St. Augustine or Daytona. If your wife isn't a shooter she'll be bored to death. By the way I've got a drop dead gorgeous ocean front condo for sale---right now. Closing on my new house in the Villages on Tues.

Phil Berkowitz

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It seems about every 1-2 years we get a thread asking this question. But, I've never seen the result of the questioner as to where they ended up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.