1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help. lead ingots stick to pan

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Heavy-D, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy-D

Heavy-D TS Member

best way to keep ingots from sticking to muffin pan. thanks Dale

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Heavy-D

I was told by a guy that makes a lot of shot that if you use a new muffing pan then it will stick real bad and he had to trash them but he said to let them sit outside in the weather and rust for a couple of weeks then sand them or maybe it was to sand them then sit them out i figured that would make it worse for sticking but he said it will make the lead come right out.

Also he said not to fill it all the way to the top I think he said about 3/4 up because it makes it the right size for melting I thought it was around 2.5 pounds per muffin at that level.

Im sure others will tell how they do it.

Foggy

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Dale the best advice I can offer is to get the cheap non-stick pans. I've had some trouble at one time or another from just about all the uncoated pans. I use the cheap non-stick ones from the dollar General store and have had zero problems with them.

Jim

4. 333t

333t Member

Aluminum muffin pans don't stick. They can be hard to find. Check your local second hand stores.

Phil

5. JLW

JLW TS Member

I use aluminum muffin pans. The lead shrinks as it cools, moving away from the tapered walls of the pan. Works fine for me.-Jerald

6. zinger

zinger Member

soot the pans

7. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Sooting the pans with a candle works, but I had a local welder make me some "ingot molds" out of plain 2-inch angle iron. Mine are 10-inch long sections oriented point down with a 4-inch piece welded across each end to act as legs and seal the ends. He made them for a dollar each and nothing sticks to them.

Mike

8. Heavy-D

Heavy-D TS Member

Thanks for the help. i will try to find some aluminum ones, or non-stick today.
    Dale.

9. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

A drop of oil into each cell of the pan will cure your problem, just that simpel.

10. Toddy

Toddy Member

Also if you paint the pans with chalk the lead shouldn't stick.

11. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Go to the antquece (SP) malls and find the cast iron muffin pans. I have had nothing but good luck with cast iron.

12. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

I have cast iron muffin pans for sale at $15.00 each plus shipping (about $5.00). It is a limited supply at this price since they are made to sell for $16.95 plus tax and shipping elsewhere.
    Each pan has 6 holes and they are made to last a lifetime. We use them all the time to make our ingots and they don't stick either.
    Call 256-587-0107 and ask for Jim
    By the way everyones ideas on how to keep the muffin pans from sticking are really good.
    Ellen

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

The Dollar store has non-stick pans for $2.50.

Jim

14. 333t

333t Member

Putting oil (or any other liquid) in the muffin pans sounds dangerous. You won't have any sticking problems with plain aluminum.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.