1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Help!!!! I've got bee's in my soffit

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

I found bee's coming and going from a small hole at the corner of my house at the soffit line. It appears the bee's are in the soffit and not the wall, but not 100% sure. I've found beekeepers who are willing to come out and remove them with something that will make them move out??? Not sure what that might be??? Let them leave with the nector/honey and wait 3/4 days and repair holes so they don't get back in. I'd like to be able to do it myself, but not sure how its done. I don't think I will be able to remove the hive in the soffit or the wall and do not want them coming back. I remember some bee keepers on this site and would like some info. The one I've found wants $l50 and will guarintee no return for 6 months!!! He said I'd only have to drill a 3/4 inch hole in the exterior wall Plaster over wood frame. Thanks in advance for any and all help. break em all Jeff
  2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Are you sure their honey bees and not yellow jackets?
  3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I had the same problem in two different locations and I simply took a can of wasp spray and took a towel at night and sprayed the can of spray into the soffitt hole using the towel to keep the bees from coming out. Even though a few may have survived they left not to return. Don't try this in the day time as they are coming and going and will get you. Jackie B.
  4. Pull & Mark

I thought about doing just that Jack, but the hole enters the home vertically and may not be in a stait line. I'm afraid most of the poison will drip out on me. Now I wonder if I can find someone who makes this spray with the plastic straw tube, like WD-40 gives you when you buy it. I have a pump strayer that may make it easier to install something you mix up yourself. I found a pestaside called "Sevin" that may work, but Its very harmful to humans as well as bee's, so I'd like some advise on this product or something less harmful to my family. break em all Jeff

Hole is 7 foot off the ground, so its not high at all!!! Thanks for asking. break em all Jeff
  5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Wonder if pumping some expanding foam insulation would work?? It would block the hole and expand to encapsulate them, sucking them in and the fumes kill survivors...just thinking...if not a good idea...sorry ,..my bad
  6. 870

870 Active Member

How high up on a ladder will you be when spraying? It has an affect on how good that $150 sounds.
  7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Call Billy's Mom over at VexCon.

-Gary
  8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Had several yellow jacket nests on my property, had a guy come in for free and vacuum all of them out of the hives. The guy got 10 cents per bee, who ever was making anti venom was buying them along with the lavra. Set a shop vac up near the hole and suck them out as they come or go.
  9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sevin dust will dispatch the buggers.

Curt
  10. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Pull & Mark Make sure that they are not going to use cyanide paste as that can gas you as well as the bees. It is deadly to humans as well as the bees. It is used to kill out mean bee hives.

Seven is one of the less toxic sprays but it won't kill instantly so there is a danger of being stung.

Most bee keepers try to locate the Queen and when they have her the rest of the bees will go to her.

Dave
  11. porky

porky TS Member

If you vacuum the bees out and are going to seal their hole, you will still have to remove the nest. The larva that are still growing in there, if they are yellow jackets(aka hornets), they will eat right through the sheet rock and come into your home as they hatch from the nest. Vacuuming slows them down alot, but you will have to kill the rest of the nest that stays inside to attending to the brood and the larva. I know this from experience.
  12. 682b

682b Member

I like the Sevin dust idea. You can find the 7.5 % rather easily but look for the 15% it relay works. I treated a dog run with it and you would not believe what all it killed. I did not see a flee or white grub for several years. Just wear a dusk mask and wash your clothes when you finish. Good luck. Thats what I would try.
  13. JayZap

JayZap Member

"Delta Dust"...problem solved. Been there, done that! Check it out on the internet.
  14. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

If the hole is 3/8" diameter and looks like it was cut by a power drill, you probably have Carpenter bees. They will go vertical into the wood and then make a 90 dg. turn and borrow in with grain for maybe up to a foot distance. They can even make a multi-level borrow in the wood. It can go both directions along the wood from a single entry hole. The Carpenter bee looks very similar to a Bumble bee but with a slightly different color scheme.

When I had this problem, an exterminator simply "puffed" some dust, probably Sevin, into the hole. His puffer was just a small tube with a rubber squeeze bulb and the tube had an angle at the tip to allow it to puff sideways. He did this in the daytime and by the next day there was no more activity at the hole. He explained that carpenter bees are not very aggressive. You can read more at the URL listed above.

Now if that is not what you have, well then I would NOT recommend this means of attacking the problem.
  15. Pull & Mark

I was thinking of the liquid form and using my pump sprayer in spray up into the hole and let it spray for several minutes until sprayer gets weak and its driping none stop. I'd do it after 9:00pm when all bees are inside and least active. This way no chance for me to get stung as well. I'm not sure how I'd get a dust sprayer up into a hole that appears vertical. How would I know there was enough up there??? Because if not when I remove the duster the bees would come out and not be very happy with me Since Sevin does not kill on contact!!! But a well soaked bee might not be able to fly as fast and give me time to get indoors. Not sure now if there honey bee's or carpenter bee's. The gentleman I talked to on the phone yesterday said if there is a honey comb inside the house the ants will take care of it. It may take a few weeks or a few months depending on the size of the nest. I justed looked at the nest and can get to 3 feet of it and watch them come and go with no problem. The link above shows only a poor view of a carp. bee, but says they have a shiny tail section, while the honey bee has hair all of theres. The one's I have don't appear to have hair, but are not shiny either. I'll go google more pics. Thanks for all the advise and keep em coming. Any bee keepers out there??? break em all Jeff
  16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

Try to find a local bee keeper and they will come out and take care of the problem. Some will do the work for free. Put an add in craigslist or look up on craigslist BEE'S on their search. The go to Google and look up LOCAL BEE KEEPERS in your area. You will find someone.
  17. JayZap

JayZap Member

Jeff, actually a dust type insecticide is the only way you will ever get the bees. They are probably yellow jackets. I also had them in my soffit, and I sprayed until i was blue in the face and the bees were still there. The problem is you really dont know where in the soffit the nest is and the liquid may never come close to the nest. I was advised to get "delta dust" and shoot that into the hole after dark when the bees are quiet. The bees will walk in the dust and carry it back to the nest, thus killing all the bees. Believe me it worked.
  18. oz

oz Active Member

they are probably carpenter bees. big fat black bees. solitary. they fight with one another. I shoot them with .22 bird shot in a rifle and then step on them when they fall. oz
  19. tincanman

tincanman Member

Is your wood where they have dug in non-painted? Carpenter bees usually go after untreated wood. They are big fat bumblebee looking critters. The males are yellow and black and very territorial. They will buzz bomb you but cannot sting. The females are smaller and usually greyish black and can sting you.

You'll need to poison their nest which is hard to do because they burrow in, then make several bends and nest up with larvae.

Once they're poisoned, close off the hole and paint the wood. This will usually deter them from returning.
  20. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

Pull & Mark , Why don't you take a minute to find out what kind of bee you have?
    Do an internet search. If you are dealing with yellow jackets, they can kill you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.