1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help in reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Robb, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robb

Robb Member

RCBS used to have starter kits that had everything you need to get started. Their stuff is top notch. Always use a scale!

2. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Herb,

Very important "THE CORRECT POWDER AND THE CORRECT AMOUNT." .
    You have to have a reliable re-loading manual and reliable scales .
    Don't skimp on these items, Don't invent or use someone's recipe.
    Centerfire rifle is HIGH PRESSURE

You and your grandson will enjoy years together at the re-loading bench,
    It is pay attention, go slow, and follow procedure's Re - loading is
    a very safe and worthwhile hobby.

3. burtona

burtona Member

First, buy him a good reloading book from one of the bullet manufacturers (Nosler, Hornady, Sierra, etc.) and have him READ about rifle reloading. He will need the book anyway to develop safe loads.

He will need at a minimum a press, dies, powder scales, Powder (H-322, Varget, H-4895, etc.),Bullets (I'd suggest 40-58 gr. bullets but depending on barrel twist others will work), and a powder funnel. A good powder measue is handy for faster reloading but can come later if someone wanted to give him a birthday present or such.

I have a set of 223 RCBS neck sizing and seater dies I'll send him for the cost of postage. He'll need to buy a full length sizing die also.
    PM me if I can help.
    Dave Burton

4. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I too recommend the RCBS Rock Chucker starter kit. $319.00 at Midway and RCBS has/had a $50 rebate. This kit has everything except the dies and shell holder. Of course you will need powder primers and bullets. It contains the Speer reloading manual with thousands of loads for many many types of ammo. A very nice scale and all of the RCBS customer support one could need. I have reloaded shotgun and pistol for years and too began to reload .223 and LOVE it! It is always much more pleasureable to go plinking or hunting with your own loads than using some factory ammo. At least for me it is.

REMEMBER reloading is a HOBBY and NOT a JOB.

5. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree,it is a hobby, but right now you may want to see if the componets, such as bullets, primers, and powder are available. All the reloading equipment in the world won't help without the componets.

6. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I started with a lee loader that I think I paid $10 for. It is slow as all get out but it teaches you all the basic steps of handloading. Reloading for an autoloader can be a bit tricker--you'll likely need to crimp bullets and you won't have the margin of error that a strong bolt action gives.

7. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

make sure he reads the entire reloading manual or at least that part that relates to the actual reloading process, before he ever tries to reload.There are a lot of ways to hurt yourself or the firearm when reloading for a rifle. for the time being stay away from military brass. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me. I have been reloading metallic cartridges for 50 years.

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

I would start him out on one of those cheap Lee loaders. The ones that use a small mallet to de-prime-size---re-prime--seat bullet. Get to know the BASICS first. Then go to something different/better.

Those old LEE hand loaders work just fine and arent as slow as you might believe. Watch a guy on You Tube that loaded a cartridge ever 40 seconds with one.

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

A lot of good advice here so far.

You might find used equipment at a flea market, house sale, etc. Also on Ebay and the like. I've bought complete sets for as little as $100.

RCBS and Dillon have great stuff - you might find a Lee unit for less - and while good it is not RCBS or Dillon. If possible I'd stay away from the Lee loader - it is simple but very time consuming and he might get overwhelmed by the amount of work he ends up doing for just a few rounds. I think it is easier to make a mistake with the Lee as well (IMHO).

Where reading books is a great place to start you might also send him to YouTube for videos of the actual process -I am assuming he is fairly young (i.e., computer literate) and there are some really excellent videos posted.

The really important issue is weighing the charge - powder type and amount really are important here. It is very easy to over pressure a round which can have catastrophic results.

Think of it this way - you are containing a very large amount of energy in a small space - little changes have big consequences. You need to pay attention to which primers you use (more so that with shot shells), bullet type and LOA for the finished cartridge. A lot to keep an eye on, but once it's all figured out it is fairly straight forward.

You don't say where he lives - I suspect people here would help with hands-on advice as well as books/equipment.

10. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

one thing to remember, that has not been said, LEE loaders (the basic kind, where you hammer the case) ONLY resizes the neck of the case...

RCBS, great company, great products...

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

PM sent

12. oz

oz Active Member

just get him a book. reloading for 223 is tough right now. bullets & brass are very hard to come by. peruse AR15.com for items for sale. He is probably going to have to reload 1 box at a time. I only hope things will get better. I have been reloading rifle & handgun ammo for about 40 years and have stockpiled lots of stuff. I get a lot of data at hodgdon.com. get some reloading books. I use a hornady lock & load progressive press right now. If you buy it (about $400) I think hornady still gives 500 free bullets.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The trick is to learn your son to load safely. He'll keep you well loaded up on all shells for all shooting. Just make sure his grades don't start slipping. At least until Girls become more important than shooting!!! LOL. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The kit is a good idea for beginners. It gets you started and no need to try things before you have all your basic needs.

Additionally:

Use the spray lube, Hornady One Shot is one, there are others. A friend uses Triflow but One shot costs the same. The old heavy oil on a pad is a PITA.

Get a case length gage. Overlength cases cause overpressure. Just a flat piece of steel with slots for all the calibers.

Get a hand held priming tool, lots easier and not pricey.

If you want more info, there are Youtube videos on a lot of stuff.

And finally, don't load too much ahead, as you learn your desires will possibly change and shooting up or disassembling is less fun.

Good luck

HM

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Herb,

I have the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. You want one that not only provides load data but covers the reloading process step by step. It also covers the do's and don'ts and why as well as providing valuable info on Powder burn rates and primers and much more. I believe Graf & Sons had this one(8th Edition) on sale. I believe the most current is the 9th Edition. I have the 8th Edition pictured below.

grntitan_2009_2503463.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.