1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help in Becoming a Two Eye Shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by vge1, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vge1

vge1 TS Member

Need help going from a "One Eye Shooter" to using both eyes. Any suggestions would be appreciated for this transformation. (this is actually for my daughter who is a left hand shooter, but right eye dominate)

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Get the gun back on the right side. Then 2 eye shooting will be less complicated. Being LH and L eye dom I'm forced to shoot lefty. If i where R eye dom. I would shoot righty.

3. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

If your daughter is right eyed dominate but shoots left handed I would recommend her continueing to shoot left-handed, but put a scotch tape dot on the right lens of her shooting glasses or as was mentioned switch her to shoot right handed.

hubcap

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Well.....let's see now! First...open BOTH eyes! Just kidding.....there's really no other way to shoot unless for some reason you MUST use only one. Two-eyed shooting, of course, gives you the bifocal vision needed to judge focus and distance,etc.No surprises here!

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

my concern is is the cross dominace issue. Are you trying to get her to shoot righty or trying to shoot lefty with right eye dominace both eyes open? Just go with right shouldered gun with both eyes open. I hope its not to late. I grew up shooting righty, did not hear the words eyedominace till I went for my pistol permit. I was shooting trap right handed with left eye dom, both eyes open. I couldnt hit squat. Then I matched up the sides. Like night and day.

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I agree that the dominance issue is probably the biggest problem. But, there are other issues to deal with. How well is she shooting with one eye? I shot one eye for the first year. I had a high of 96 with several 25x25 scores. I was not aiming the gun, which is a major problem with one eye shooters. I finally decided I was going to open both eyes. I shot 25 straight one eye then went back out and shot 25 straight with both eyes open. Nothing changed because all I was doing was concentrating on the target and not seeing the gun. Make sure here gun fit is as good as you can get it. You can try the tape on the glasses deal, but gun fit, seeing the target and having the gun shoot were the eyes are focused is most important.

JON

7. vge1

vge1 TS Member

She has been shooting for 2.5 years. Browning XT has been fitted to her by Aaron of the Country Gentlemen. She was on the George Mason Trap & Skeet Team for 2 years. Has won a few trophies in singles, caps and high overall ladies.

8. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

The best answer is training her to be a right handed shooter because of her right eye dominance.

However, there are many one-eyed shooters that can flat shoot. Maybe you shouldn't do anything.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

unless she hasnt improved much in the last year, why change. Best bet is to block the right eye with dot just big enough to take out the dominate eye. you will have some relief from not squinting the right eye. I will do this when riffle shooting. Shoot righty left eye dom when exstended target with riffle. blocking my lefty lense with a small piece of frosted tape relieves some tension from squinting for long periods of time.

10. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

This was a thread posted over a year ago about training to be a two-eyed shooter: Good Luck!!

This is hard to believe but it is a true.I shoot right and am dominant left.Shot many years by closing my left eye.About four years ago a friend of mine talked me into shooting both eyes open with the magic dot covering my left eye vision to the bead,worked well,put me on the 27 & AA class.Here is the hard part to believe;One day I was running late and in a hurry to make my squad,I forgot to change my glasses from my driving glasses to my shooting glasses,went to the line and ran the singles.Went back to the pickup and found my shooting glasses with the tape on them,came to the conclusion that I shot that round with my driving glasses,I went down to the practice trap to check and see if I was closing one eye or was able to shoot with both eyes open,low and behold I was able to shoot with both eyes open without any tape.I talked to a Eye Docktor friend of mine who is also a shooter,he told me that the tape had trained my off eye to take over,I've shooting both eyes open and no tape ever since and maintaining a decent average on both singles and handicap.Hope mabe this will work for some of you guys that have been fighting tha same problem.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner has done a lot of research on this topic and believes that the great majority of female shooters will have trouble with dominance issues and should use one eye as with the Magic Dot patch of tape. Frank Little shot with both eyes open as does Phil but both have taught many shooters who use one eye.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a left handed left eye dominant shooter who shoots both eyes open right handed, I do pretty well.

I do NOT look through the barrel before I call for the target, but OVER the barrel, and focus on a distant object. When I see movement, I focus from far to near on the bird, and do not see the gun. When I am on my game, I can hang with most folks.

I use and like the HiViz. It is so visible in my peripheral vision that I have the confidence to not bead check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.