1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help identifying duck?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I saw a duck today that I did'nt know what it was, Maybe if I give you guys a descripition you can help? Small duck about half the size of a mallard or about the size of a wood duck, Black with a white stomach, Really no colors other than that. It had a patch of hair that stood up on its head that was also black. It's beak was long and thin and Looked Like maybe it had small teeth in It. In southern WV. Thanks

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The closest I can guess - a Merganser.

"A quiet, secretive duck, the Hooded Merganser is the smallest of the North American mergansers, about the same size as the Wood Duck. Hooded Mergansers are sexually dimorphic. Males are a striking combination of black, white, and reddish brown. The head, neck, and back are black, the rump is gray, and the tail is dark, grayish brown. The chest, breast, and belly are white, and there are two irregular black marks on the sides of the breast. The sides and flanks are tawny or reddish brown. The male’s most distinguishing physical characteristic is his crest, which when fully erect, reveals a stunning white patch bordered by black. When the crest is down, there is a white stripe extending backwards from the eye.
    Females and immature males look alike. They are dark, grayish brown or blackish brown. The neck, chest, sides, and flanks are gray. The head is brown. The female’s crest is brown, tinged with cinnamon, and sometimes white at its tip. The crest of the immature male is similar to, but smaller than that of the female."

3. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

A hooded merganser....especially if there was a storm brewing on the ocean. They come inland during a storm. Had a flock of them last year on my inland pond.

4. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Yeah, sounds like a hooded merganser. I would have said it was a bufflehead until you described the beak with teeth on that fish eater.

5. noseeam

noseeam TS Member

targetmaster,I agree with all of the above.

Hooded Merganser.

Bocephas

6. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Another identifying fact is they are divers! If you see them and they then are gone underwater...a Merganser!

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

They are great to eat{hee,hee,hee,hee,hee,hee}!

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dogs won't even eat them. Can't cook them in the house for the stink.

Only one reason to shoot one, if you want to mount it for a collection.

HM

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

So what about the one below I can't tell if it is a plain ole wood duck or something special that is protected.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/animals/?action=view&current=duck.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thanks for the help

Fog

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I just knew someone just had to post that very nice pic. Good job Foghorn. LOL

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Foggy.........How did you get that picture of my gunbearer?

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Teeth in the bill? I very much would like to see that.

Pat Ireland

13. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Pat,

They are not actually teeth, but are commonly referred to as such. The bills have a fine saw-toothed edge on them that aids in holding a fish. This is common with divers, more pronounced in some than others.

14. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

must be something wring with my computer,all I saw was a black box in the middle of that picture,anybody know how to make it go away? sorry had to

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Foggy

What duck?

Danny

16. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Thanks for the help all, It was a hooded merganser, I saw the picture of one. I was duck hunting and it came over the pond with some other ducks, I knew it was a duck but not the type. So they are no good to eat? I put it with a wood duck to get them stuffed. Thanks all for the help!

17. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

The so called tiny teeth you say are used to sein out the stuff it pickes up off the bottem of the Lake, Pond, River, Creek, or what ever. When this is done and if it happend when it did this it got it's Brekfast, Lunch or Dinner. They ate the small little tiny crustations that were left after all the other junk, mud, sand or whatever seined out. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Their almost as good as a Spoon bill, but not as tender as an Eider.

19. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

I believe the duck discribed is know by some waterfowlers as a trash duck the one inthe picture appears to be a brown snapper.

20. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

How the hell can you buzzards keep talking about Ducks after seeing that photo? The duck must be a Numbnut Flyercatcher! That girl has a terrible chest cold.....get her to a docter quick!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.