1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Identifying Adj. Comb Hardware

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ClaySmoke, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

I have a Browning Ultra XT that has an adjustable comb. I have added a higher rib to the gun, and am needing longer posts to adjust my comb higher. I am having trouble identifying the manufacturer of my comb hardware, as it is not marked in any way, and was hoping that someone on here could help me out. The posts are roughly 3/8" diameter with a 1/4" shank at the bottom for center locating, and they have a countersunk hole on the top for an M4 socket cap screw. Here are pictures of the comb hardware and the post...

claysmoke_2008_0303.jpg

claysmoke_2008_03031.jpg

claysmoke_2008_03032.jpg

I was hoping I could contact the manufacturer to attain longer posts, but if that's not possible I will have to either find a machinist to make them for me; or will have to try and make them myself. By the way, if I have to have these made, what material would be the best to use. The current posts appear to be aluminum, and as you can see in the picture are very soft and have dimpled badly over the years. I was thinking stainless steel would be better. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Garrett

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

That is old style Browning factory hardware. You'll have to get someone to make you some posts; all dimensions are metric. And yes, they are aluminum and way too soft.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Thanks for the help Ken. I figured someone on here could help me out. Do you have any idea who I could get to make these posts? I'm a CAD designer, so I could supply the machinist with detailed mechanical drawings if necessary. Thanks. Garrett

4. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

I fixed one using graco posts. But I had to drill the comb insert to allow it to fit onto the new posts. It was on a Winchester select sporting gun. It looked the same as yours.
    Jimmy

5. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Jimmy, do the Graco posts have the shank on the bottom of the post like mine do? Garrett

6. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Can't remember right off. I know Ken's do. His are 3/8" do if yours are smaller you could modify your comb to work w/his posts.
    Jimmy

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Your posts are 9 mm (.355) dia. Like Jimmy said , if you go with a 3/8' dia. post, you will have to modify the bushings in your comb. My posts are hardened tool steel and can't be turned down.

Ken

8. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Ken, I re-measured my posts and comb bushings and came up with the following measurements. The comb bushings measure 10.1 mm or .398" I.D., and the posts measure 9.85 mm or .388" O.D. Do your posts measure .375"? Do they have the centering shank on the bottom, and if so, how wide is it? Thanks for your guys help. Garrett

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I had the same problem. I bought longer bolts and put washers under the posts. This way I could raise the posts without having new ones made. Perfect? No, but it works.

LjuticComb.jpg

I used fender washers. They have a small hole with a large surface area.

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Posts are .375" dia.; the lug is .183" wide. I have posts that are 1 1/4" long and may be ground down .

Ken

11. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Ken, I sent you a PM. Thanks. Garrett

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How long of pins do you need? I have a set that are .395 in Diameter.

I also use fender washers as spacers to build height and spacers from the local hardware store, with longer metric screws for the foreign guns.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.