1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Identify this powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Thanks Been disposed of made neat sparkles in burn barrel, tossed in loose as no pressure, thanks to all for the safe advice!!!

Thanks Jerry

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I can get a picture up later when the camera gets back here.

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like 800X to me.Be on the safe side and use it for fertilizer.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jerry.... THROW IT AWAY!!! Unless you know, without any doubt, what it is, you are messing with an accident waiting to happen. Is it worth the possibilites that could result for less than $10.00 worth of powder? Think about it!! Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

yellow dots is 700X but I would toss it anyway.

HM

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto those that call it 700X - always has had the yellow dots - but fertilize the tomatoes with such a small amount to worry about......Bob Dodd

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Here's the problem. Both 700X and 800X can and do have yellow dots. A pic is worth the 1000 words here agin in this case. But your relying on info from people that you don't know. A bottle 3/4 full of any powder is not worth the chance of another persons answer. Its definetly not red dot and this is the guy that owned and used the powder... Now I've said it too and hope that you will listen to all of us.

8. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I am in no way advocating the use of unidentified components....

what is the potential harm in using say, 15gr of unknown propellant behind 7/8 or 1oz payload?

K

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

unknown propellant That is saying it all . Never load anything unknowen

10. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well I was just in the loading room and looked at the powder bushing in this loader it was #29 which would have dropped 19.4gr of 800x(6200psi at 1100fps not a max load) or 17.5 of 700x(10200 psi and 1200fps max load in the table). I do not have any other bushings as my mec also used #29 and I used 700x years ago for my hunting loads but I havent had any 700x in 9 years. I do have 10 bushings for the Apex loader that could load down to 14gr. Not enough powder for use for me to load trap but could load him enough shells for squirrel for a while.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Kevin, there is potential...That could be good, or worse yet,very bad.

Jerry, Martin is right.

Remember....When in doubt, throw it out.Wayne

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

What part of DUMP IT IN THE FLOWER BED do you not want to understand. If you want to impress your friend loading him a bunch of shells that may destroy his gun and injure him is probably not the best way to do it.

--- Chip King ---

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well its been disposed of made neat sparkles in the burn barrel.(tossed in loose as to have no pressure)

14. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i am quorious about useing in garden,i have a small garden(25'x40')never heard of gun powder for fertilizer,how mutch,and should i give my vegies to the people i dont like????i have some real old& unidentifiable powder,and if it works in the garden it will keep me from making a few big firecrackers.mark

15. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

09newbie,

Definitely was the right thing to do. It's even possible there was more than one type of powder in there.

Once upon a time I bought a Garand that came with 200 rounds of handloads. I pulled them all down for the bullets & cases and dumped the powder and primers.

In some of those rounds were two different kinds of powders. The loader said he thought as long as there was data for both powders it was okay.

Lunacy...............

Dan

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Just for conversation.........29 is the bushing for 700X.

800X has "neutral" colored identifiers which could be called yellow on a quick glance.

700 ID's are genuine yellow.

You could probably load out some shells on the stuff you acquired. But for the teeny bit of gain, toss and feel better.

HM

17. willing

willing Member

Whatever you do don't spread it in the bean patch. It could cause a great explosion!! I don't know what all our saftey people are thinking!!

Bill

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My 800-X does not have yellow dots in it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Gun powder is rich in nitrogen which is a good plant food. HMB

20. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

hmb is correct about high nitrogen content of gunpowder. A little story about home made firecrackers. A old firend of mine was intertaining his stepsons by helping them make reusable firecrackers with Pyrodex and or black powder and some carborad tubes with plugs. Well long story short they ran out of black powder and Pyrodex so the fun was over. Next day or so while he is at work the boys got out some of his rifle powder or maye shotgun powder and tried it in those card board tubes. It did not work so well and they decided to make a huge one using rolled up newspaper. That too did not explode but it sure as hell burned fast there on the slab of the back porch. The only thing that saved the house from burning down was the quick thinking of the oldest one who grabbed the garden hose. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.