1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help identify this Burris scope

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by new loader, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Please contribute any info about this scope. Approx age, value, good, bad, any first hand knowledge especially helpful. Scope says "Burris" in script letters, then MINI 4X Made in USA. Glossy finish.

[​IMG]

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have a few older Burris scopes (3) and they are IMO near Leupold in quality and performance. Burris scopes have one piece steel tubes and multi-coated optics. To my knowledge, Burris has never made a 'bargain' scope. That said, I still like Leupold better.

I have 2 1980's era Leupold 4 x Rimfire Specials, one of which is mounted on a Marlin 39AS, similar to the Model 39M "Mountie" as in the picture above. The other is mounted on a Ruger 77/22 sporter.

The Leupold Rimfire Special scopes are made on the Leupold compact body and are similar to a standard Leupold 4x except that they are smaller and are set to be near parallax free at 75 yards. The standard Leupold full size 4 x scopes are set to be near parallax free at of 125 yards. I think that the newer Leupold Rimfire Specials are set to be near parallax free at 50 yards.

My guess is that the Burris in the picture above is a compact model set to be near parallax free at 125 yards as there is no reference to rimfire. It looks like a good scope.

The Marlin 39 M appears to be pre cross hammer safety and is very, very nice. I bet the scope is of good quality simply based on the rifle on which it is mounted.

Ed Ward

3. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

Good Scope & made in USA

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Those older Burris scopes are top shelf equipment. I have a couple of these Burris 5X Handgun scopes and sold another a few years ago. I still regret selling that other one. They may not be worth much to sell($150 or less) but it will cost $300+ at minimum to replace it with anything close in quality. I have a Marlin 39A like your above and have a fixed power Weaver scope on it. Great old equipment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dhg

dhg TS Member

Earliest Info I can find is in 1981 edition of Shooters Bible,listed at $103.95

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a 2.5x early style Burris on a Marlin 45-70...been there since 1987 and has taken a ton of punishment from some buffalo/big bear power class loads...still clear bright and fog free and holds perfect zero...great scopes for the money...good eye relief too

7. cnsane

cnsane Member

You've got a Burris compact. Equal to their Fulfield line, back when they were made in Colorado and they offered a good selection of scopes. Now most of their 2nd tier stuff is made in the Phillipines. They do not compare to a Loopy, unless your referring to a VX1. They do however have outstandingly quick customer service on their repairs.

8. leadvail

leadvail Member

Ed, Equal to Leupold?

Got some ocean front property for sale in Arizona?

Yeah, and Stoeger is as good as Perazzi.

I bought 2 3x9 fullfields 30 years ago and threw in the garbage after the screw holding the front eyepiece came loose. Leupold the last 29 years. Good luck!

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
burris 3x9 compact scope

burris 4x mini

burris 4x mini rifle scope
burris 4x mini scope

burris mini 4x

burris scope 4x

identify burris scopes

older 3x9x mini burris