Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Identify These Primers

7K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  grntitan 
#1 ·
Text

For all you knowledge hounds out there, I need your help. Obviously these primers are Alcan Shotshell Primers, but does anybody know their history? On the Back of the box it states (I took a picture but the print comes out blurry no matter what I do) "Made in Italy Giulio Fiocchi Lecco" Then it gives a description of what their make up is and suggestions on components to use them with. I won't bore you with all the print but in particular it states: "Primers fit Remington and Peters fired shot shells."

I have 800 of them and they are in perfectly fine condition. They are certainly smaller than a typical 209 primer and will not fit any Remington (STS, Gun Club), Winchester (AA), or Federal (Gold Medal) shell I have. Not long ago I had some Peters Blue Magic shells but they are all gone so no test fits there. I wish I could give an exact size, but no calipers. I think I just made an excuse to go buy calipers.

Thanks ahead of time for imparting you knowledge.

See less See more
#9 ·
They fit the older SP case by Remington.The newer SP case takes the larger primer.

The 57's mic's out at .228 compared to the Winchester style at 243. If these are sealed they can be used with Ball powder. If they are not sealed. They should not be used with Ball powders. They made them both sealed and unsealed.

The cases from Remington/Peters are high brass(really Steel, yes that long ago)the base wad is a fiber composition and pieces of them come out in every firing. The base wad burns out a bit at a time, after three/four loads its hard to get a good crimp.

I have about 2000 of these cases I got in a package deal. I had to haul them off to get what I was really wanting. I just figured on throwing them away. When I got home I found the cases had been resized and primed. So I shoot them at games. They hold a good 1-1/4 load.

Ajax

#14 ·
What I think you have is Alcan 57's. I loaded them in the Remington All American shotshell. It was a plastic shell with a high base wad. It took a short wad for 1 1/8 oz. load. It might have been the Remington 12L wad but it has been so long that I don't recall for sure. It had a smaller diameter than the 97 primers. They worked good in a MEC tube feeder. I loaded them in the early 1970's, then Alcan went out of business I think. Alcan also made a high brass shell for flyers. I'm pretty sure it was a light pink shell and it was paper. Some years ago a friend of mine passed and he had a small gun repair/reloading shop. I wish I would have kept some of the old primer boxes, some had wooden trays that held the primers. I can't recall the primer brand but we all had a good laugh when we seen the price on the box for 100 was 34 cents. The good old days....
Good luck with the Bob

#21 ·
I'm not near as old as Ajax but I do have a lot of that old reloading left over here at the house..

When my folks moved 25 years ago they made me come over and clean out my old bedroom. Mom never threw a thing away, train sets, old toys, and sports uniforms. All that stuff was still there all put in boxes and stored in the closet. She had put everything hunting or shooting related in a couple of boxes. I found out that Red Dot Powder I bought when I was 15 was still good when I was 40.

Jim

Room Textile Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.