1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help identify suitable beginner trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stut71, Sep 18, 2013.

1. stut71

stut71 TS Member

Looking to get into casual/club trap. Would like the versatility to be able to shoot doubles and maybe 5 stand sporting clays. Currently using field guns which shoot very flat( Citori white Lightning and old Ithaca mod 37) I have had some experience with a Rem 1100 classic trap and found that gun shot flat and beat my face as well. Thus I am not keen on a Remington. Since cost is an issue I am looking at BPS and Ithaca model 37 trap. Ithaca says the gun can be purchased with either 60/40 or 70/30 point of impact. How about the BPS - can't find any reference on whether they have an elevated POI and what it is. The Ithaca and BPS are in about the same price range so that is not the issue. So I am in a quandary. Thanks in advance, Steve

2. Hank55

Hank55 Member

If I was to only have one gun and wanted to use it in multiple events (singles, handicap & doubles), I believe I would look seriously at a Citori Trap. You can find used ones reasonable on Gun Brokers and even pick up a good used one at a trap club. They are easy to replace springs in if broken and I feel are hard to beat for the price.

3. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'd second that recommendation for a Browning Citori.

Either a Browning Special Trap Edition, or their Special Sporting Clays Edition, or an XT O/U will serve you well for all clay target disciplines.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Get a gun with or install an adjustable comb.

5. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Shooting doubles well with a BPS pump would be difficult. Also shucking hulls on the ground is a mess for the squad during doubles. Further, the BPS loads thru the bottom of the receiver and it's easier to lose track of having live shells in the mag tube, and more of a pain to unload. You might make due for now by putting a Cheek-eez of the right thickness on the Lightning to raise the POI and reduce face-slap. Then save up for the right gun. All the posters above are spot on about a Citori trap or sporting with an adjustable comb. Best bang for the buck. Bob

6. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

Rem 3200?

7. Reuben Sandwich

Reuben Sandwich TS Member

Rem 3200 for a beginner gun?

Just Say No.

8. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Why not a Rem. 1100 trap or a nice used Beretta A-391? If kept clean they are very reliable and they don't beat your brains out like an O/U.

Lots of great shooters like the late Leo Harrison, Earl Scripture and California's Mike Mazzucci whipped our collective butts with guns that cost less than $1000. I still have my Rem 1100 Trap that I won the Florida State Handicap with (100x100). It still shoots great!

Just my 2 cents worth....and I sell the expensive guns!

Bob Schultz - Target Shotguns, Inc.

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I am a fan of the BPS Trap gun, but not for your purposes. I agree with those above who suggest a Citori Trap. I have a 1992 Grade III with adjustable comb, (not for sale,) that would be something like what you need. You can get a gun like mine in a Grade I for under $1000. Martinpicker

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Go Beretta....lots of versatility, reliability and ease of maintenance...

Curt

11. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I am very partial to Citori's myself owning 5 of them as I write this. For the money, they are the best built gun for what you intend to use it for and will give you years of dependable service if properly lubricated and maintained. I would also tend to agree with Bob Schultz on the 1100 or the 391. They are both battle tested and are a lot less pricey than the Citori. Problem with them is you are not going to make any friends on the trap line if you plan on shooting doubles with it.

Jeff

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Get an 1100, with a Jack West Stock--you can raise the POI & with the adjustments you'll get rid of the slap.

Phil Berkowitz

13. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

The Citori trap i had shot a lil flat. But it didnt have an adjustable comb, if you get one, suggest, like Mr Roach did, install one or buy one with it.

14. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Get an adjustable comb put on the Citori that you already have, if it has 28" barrels. Or at least put a comb pad on it to raise the POI, and go shooting.
    Mark

15. Kolar 309 - 2

Kolar 309 - 2 Member

Go with a break open gun .Nobody want's to shoot behind a auto loader and get hit with empty shells .I have seen it cause problem's , happen to me shooting doubles, was not nice. CHARLIE

16. stut71

stut71 TS Member

I did a lot of work analyzing my form and results plus read the replies. What roach said made a lot of sense. The gun doesn't fit well and the problem seems to be the comb height seems low for trap. Length of pull is good. Remember it's a field gun. Instead of blowing a lot of money on a new gun that may or may not fit, I am going to work on it and get where I can shoot the gun I have. am sending it out to get an adjustable comb this week.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Make sure if you buy something that is popular. Usually, carefully buying a used popular gun, made for the purpose and in great working order wont cost you much to try it. They usually hold their value.

For example one good choice would be an older Remington 1100 Trap. You can find them for $500 to $600 and, if you take good care of it, it will still be worth that when you sell it. The same thing applies to a used Beretta autoloader. Those are very good starting guns that, if you fall in love with them they can be lifetime guns, properly taken good care of.

Good luck.

18. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Get a Ruger red label with the longest barrels that you can get. they are built like a tank and will go up in value every year. Also Ruger maintains and repairs them free. Bill

19. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Only concern re the Ruger Red Label, is you HAVE to send it to Ruger for repairs is something goes wrong. My gunsmith tried to order parts to fix a friends Red Label and was rebuffed.

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

OK your friend didn't know that Ruger maintains their products for free. That would be the only reason that it was at the gunsmith? There is no down side to having free repair work done by the manufacturer. Bill