1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help ID a Powder, please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

At a garage sale today, I got two gallon pickle jars of - erstwhile - SR 7625 (the label from an 8# bottle was there) and one, each of SR 4756 and 700-X (again labeled in the jars).

I know what 4756 and 700X look and smell like, and these are they - but I've never seen 7625. Can somebody describe it, or, better yet, send me a pic?

GS

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Please don't squad with me. I have no health insurance.

But in reality, you shoulod do some research toward the source of the powder and the individual who packed it before attempting ANY loading at all.

I have gotten powder like this, but ONLY from individuals I personally am acquainted with.

It only takes once.

HM

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Actually, I do know (knew) him, and shot with him several years ago when both of our kids were shooting the games.

This was an estate sale more than garage sale and I helped his widow get rid of his guns and reloading gear.

Worst case, I have fertilizer.

Bob

4. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Throw it out.Jerry

5. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

JERRY I USE IT ALL THE TIME FOR CAPS IT FINE GRIND

I USE 23.8 FOR CAPS

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

"JERRY I USE IT ALL THE TIME FOR CAPS IT FINE GRIND"

Can you describe it, please.
    ball

flattened ball, similar to Longshot

irregular extruded, like PB?

GS

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok send it to me and I will test fire it all and let you know how it shot.

Ok since you knew the person that had it and it was marked as 7625 I bet he was the type of guy that marked the powder that was in the correct container.

the 7625 powder is a soft shooting powder and also has won many meat shoot's in my area but you can't load it real heavy as far asthe way it looks it is not a ball powder I have some in the shop but not handy I will tell you later what it looks like unless some one else does first.

Fog

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

So you trust the powder to be what it says. In that case:

It makes wonderful high speed 1 & 1/4 oz hunting or porch loads. Use Federal hulls, Remington wads, and 32 grains.

Recipe is in the book somewhere.

I tried it for 1 & 1/8 oz loads and it was filthy dirty.

It makes good 20 guage hunting loads too.

HM

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That was cold.

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

221: OK, I snorted. He knew his end was coming and made arrangements; I just made sure the guns went to the right parties and the paperwork was in order. Besides, his O/U guns were German and I like Italian O/U and Brit SxS, so there was not much emotional conflict I couldn't rip the widow. That said, there WERE some 'friends' perfectly willing to 'help her out by taking gun worries off her hands' ... for $20/pound ... maybe $25.

sarge: It's not a mystery with 1000 forks in the road - there are only a limited number of choices. He used Hodgdon powders, only, and loaded 12g & 10g, only - no metallic, so it is not 110 or 4831 or Varget. I have no idea what Clays or Universal look like, but I'm pretty sure it is 7625 - I just need to confirm it's physical apprarance.

foghorn & halfmile: 7625 has interested me for a while, and I'm used to the quirks of loading Hodgdon slow(er) powders (Longshot & SR 4756). I don't think I've ever seen a power curve any smoother and more predictable. I'm interested in it to work up some # 5 or 6 Nice Shot/Bismuth 24gm decoy duck loads for 2½".

foghorn: Yes, please. Nobody so far has described it or sent pics.

Thanks, everybody.

Bob

11. John 53

John 53 Member

You have mail

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

It's SR 7625.

Thanks, all.

Bob

13. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

If you're wrong, you might get to ask your friend in person.

Sometimes old people have senior moments and mix stuff up, dump things back into the wrong containers etc. Most dealers won't handle any unsealed containers.

I just heard from a guy who had his pistol blown up by someone else using a third parties reloads.

please be careful.

14. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago my neighbor sprayed his wheat with a 30 gallon drum his dad had labeled MCPA with a felt pen before he passed away,he was sure that's what it was until his wheat died,fortunately he didn't kill my wheat next to him but the guy shooting next to you might not be as Lucky if your wrong.Jerry

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

"Pour it in a pile and throw matches at it."

Actually, I'll pour it into several smaller piles ... oh, abt 33 or 4 gn ... and apply fire from the ass-end ... :-}

It's 7625. I have pics and a photo micrograph, as well as the guy's reloading notes. It is unmistakable.

GS

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

BOOM!!! HMB

17. grntitan

Well if you were so sure, why did you need someone else to ID it? Load that crap up and have fun. Just let us know where your gonna be so we can go elsewhere.------Matt

18. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

"Well if you were so sure, why did you need someone else to ID it? Load that crap up and have fun. Just let us know where your gonna be so we can go elsewhere.------Matt "

umm .. to give the automatic white-knuckle crowd something else to tsk-tsk about?

Reloading/Shooting is an assumed-risk bidness, anyhow. And that's OK. I had a 90%+ confidence level the powder was SR 7625.

- he reloaded only 12g and used only Hodgdon powders
    - he was working on some 24gm & ¾oz loads, and had Gulandi Rex & SPK wads for that purpose
    - it was NOT 700-X, SR 4756 nor Longshot nor HS-6 or 7 (I have all those)
    - that left PB, Clays, Titewad, International or 7625 as the 'possibles', with PB and 7625 the FAR most likely.

The powders do not look anything alike.

Folk from TS were very helpful with photos boosted it to 99% ... and I put myown face on the side of that belief. This wasn't a baseless guess.

For 'pre-final' confirmation, I made up two 110% loads and 'proved' it on my tractor-tire/string/L.C.Smith rattletrap that falls open in a strong breeze from the SouthEast. It held closed for both shots.

For FINAL confirmation, I loaded up 3@ of 4 loads for which I had the exact components and they ALL chrono-ed ± 25fps of 'book'.

This was not a by-guess and by-golly operation.

GS

19. grntitan

Well i aplogize GS. I misunderstood the whole meaning of your thread. I am a person who will admit when i was wrong. You're either quite educated on the subject or a master of BS. I tend to lean to the educated part. Well done.--Matt

20. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

YOU DO NOT BUY OR USE OPENED CONTAINERS OF SMOKELESS POWDER, NO IF'S AND'S OR BUT'S. UNLESS YOU BOUGHT IT, YOU CAN'T BE SURE WHAT IS REALLY IN IT, OR HOW IT WAS STORED.

AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY GUNS BLOW UP.......

~Michael

PS, I realize caps means "shout", that was my intention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.