1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP, I need info on gun club fence

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PATRICK L HOGAN, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRICK L HOGAN

PATRICK L HOGAN TS Member

I am looking for information on the official wprd on a fence to seperate our firing line and the pedestrian path.

Sutch as height, gates, meterial (ie:chainlink, wood), how far it needs to
    extend past shooting stations and any other info would be a great help.

Thanks, Pat

2. Black Rifle

Black Rifle TS Member

Pat,

What do you mean by "official word"? I guess some states or municipalities may have regulations, but not here in good ol' west Tennessee! Our club has the parking lot, probably 8-10' of grass, and then the firing lines. No fences except around the action pistol and highpower ranges which are controlled access and are kept locked.

Mark

3. PATRICK L HOGAN

PATRICK L HOGAN TS Member

Black Rifle,

I am in Il south west of chicago I am looking for ata regs or state regs,
    I have been getting nowhere through other channels.

4. setter

setter Member

Not a direct answer but you can probably find the info you need thru this org.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Neither St Charles (Elburn) nor Downers Grove (Morris) nor Maywood (Elmhurst)has any fencing separating their walking/parking areas from their shooting fields. Now at Naperville, we have a 6' chain-link style which is a perimeter fence to the trap fields.

Our parks department placed the fence at their own insistence, nothing legally required. In our situation, the park is used by multiple user groups, so the fence provides security for equipment and segregates non-shooters from the shotfall areas. At dedicated ranges, common sense seems to work well at our area clubs (as above).

Jay Spitz

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've been to numerous clubs with no fence at all. Not an unusual situation. I'll guess if you must comply with any rule or law, it will be a local jurisdiction; state, city, county...Bob Dodd

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

You don't need no stinking fence!

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Best fence, free installed by members. If you do not need it, dont bother. If you start fenceing in, they will have you fencing off everything.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cheap method - post ACHTUNG! MINEN! signs.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are no ATA regulations requiring fencing. I do not recall ever shooting at a club that segregated the traps with a fence. I know of a few that have erected a steel pipe about 24 inches high between the sidewalks and the trap fields (Middletown OH) and the old Grand at Vandalia. Many fences would prohibit shooters from watching a squad shooting and keeping up with when they shot.

Pat Ireland

11. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

All you need is something that saids this is as far as you go if you are not shooting on this squad. A rail fence, or ropes will do that. I will have to agree with Pat that I have never seen or heard of a rule on fences with the ATA.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

All that being said, however, I've seen and now enjoy at my home club, a 4' chain link fence seperating the walkway to traps from the trapfields. This encourages folks to stand back on a paved walk to watch, doesn't inhibit views in anyway, and there are openings in the fence at each field with trash cans posted at the opening. All this helps keep the viewers back from the long yardage posts and scorer, keeps viewers away from the guns on racks, helps keeping the loud talking and laughing from the shooters, helps keep the trash in a can, and so on....breakemall....Bob Dodd

13. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Looks like to me that you only need fences when skeet fields are on the same fields as the traps. Either way its not a fence u want to sit or ride on!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.