1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help I am confused

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bakergun, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I am trying to load 3/4 oz for a 20 ga load I think I got it right in that 328.1234999999gr. equals 3/4 oz. and 300.781249999 equals 11/16 oz the problem is when I drop it I have to add 1 to 5 pieces of shot to get it right. what should I do ream out the Mec bar until it is just right or don't worry about it. I am using a RCBS scale. not a digital. Iam loading for my granddaughters and I don't want the gun to blow up .I called Hogdon and they gave me this which is in their book I have to go out and get the powder so I started checking the shot first. If the powder doesn't work out right I will get back to you. All I am trying to do is load a soft recoil for these girls.
    Here is the load
    WWAA hulls
    209 Primer
    WWAA20 wads
    12 gr. int clays
    3/4 oz of shot

2. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Don't worry about it, that is my advice.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If the problem is the crimp isn't closing up, you might be able to lower the pre-crimp a bit so the folds are pushed further toward the center. If that works you may have to adjust the crimp die to get your crimp depth OK. Always expect that you may have to adjust your crimp setup when starting a new run with a different recipe than the last one you ran. If this doesn't work you need to look for a recipe that uses more of a fluffier powder that will fill the hull a bit more, or one with a taller wad.

4. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Wireguy
    No offence but I am not concerned about I am worried about not enough shot in the shell I can always use puff rice to fill the shell but thank you any way.
    Pete

5. EE

EE Banned User Banned

So you add 1 to 5 to pellets to the drop and you get your shot charge correct to 9 decimal places?

EE

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Shot charges will vary from drop to drop and will vary depending on the composition of the shot. Harder shot is a little less dense, so your drops will usually be a little light for a given volume. Five pieces of shot on the light side will not usually be cause for concern in any reasonable load in the 20 ga. If you were throwing a considerable amount on the heavy side, then you might have cause for concern, since that can increase pressures. If it really bothers you, you can open up the shot bushing a little to get it right, but be aware that another bag of shot may drop lighter or heavier charges than what you are currently using. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it, unless it were a more significant variation. Depending on the shot size, you aren't off a large amount, percentage wise. One pellet usually weighs a little over a grain, depending on the size and composition. Five or six grains of shot isn't all that much, even in a 3/4 oz load. If it were five or six grains of powder, we'd be VERY concerned.

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

As someone said don't worry about it. Don't ever cut open some factory loads you'll likely get a heart attack.

8. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I have had a similar problem when loading different brands and sizes of shot. Just the other day I was loading up some hot 6's for fun shoots. Being a new recipe I thought it best to way everything. I dropped a shot charge and weighed it and found it to be about 1.1gr light. I changed shot to different brand and to 7.5's and dropped that and was dead on 492.2gr

The different size and brand of the 6's I was loading made it load differently. The loads were not off enough for concern and I loaded and fired them and had a great time.

J.F.

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

And people laugh at me for using Zip Lock bags to keep my reloads in. ha ha ha ...

Jerbear

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Close is fine. That's all you have to be as long as you don't hang around at the very upper end of the reloading guides - 10,000+ PSI and all that. Even then, a few pellets is all the closer you can get and if two bushings straddle a desired charge-weight, use the smaller one.

Neil

11. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Thank you for all your help. Tomorrow I will weight the powder
    Pete

12. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

What Neil said...+

I am happy hanging around the low end of the loading charts, I have never seen a grain or two light even act like a heckup!

I have in other peoples reloads seen that hanging around the max end of the chart and getting a grain heavey cause much heartache and pain!

My first 100 Straight, was with 3/4 OZ. loads at the lower end of the chart.

For me why should I load for max, when middle to low end loads are so much fun and successful!

Al Lingham

Also if you load #9 shot, in a stock 1 1/8oz bar, look for 5 to 15 grains heavier loads then with 7 1/2 or 8 shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.