1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help: How do you measure cast-off ? ? ? ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Otter, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otter

Otter TS Member

Ok . . here's my problem. I want the cast-off in my new gun (Krieghoff) to be set the same as the cast-off in my old gun (Perazzi) assuming the stocks are of equal length from the receiver.

How do I physically measure the inches of cast-off in a stock. I can't seem to find the center from where I measure cast-off at the stock butt. Must be some simple trick I haven't found yet.

Thanks for all the HELP I can get !

Luxor

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jerry, you can put a straight edge on top of the rib and keep it parallel to the center of the rib and get an approximation of the cast at the heel (top of the recoil pad). This will not tell you a lot about the cast at the toe or bottom of the recoil pad though. Offset comb is probably what you had on the P-Gun where the adjustable comb was moved to the right but kept parallel to the rib. Did you ever find that roll-over comb for your Perazzi??

3. Otter

Otter TS Member

Mike, I did find a roll over for my Perazzi, but I purchased a nearly new K80 Trap Special and I am currently working on its fit.

I will try both ideas and see if I get the same measurement.

Thanks guys,

Luxor

4. Otter

Otter TS Member

Irfner, do you simple run the 90 degree angle across the butt end and up the side of the stock, then measure the cast against the 90 degree angle ? Sounds really easy, I'll try it !

Thanks,

Luxor

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Measuring cast off using the above described methods would be very simple if every stock had the same thickness and shape. Cast off is measured from the center of the rib and the top center of the comb. Usually ignored, but very important, is the thickness of the comb and the wood below the comb.

Pat Ireland

6. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

The correct way to measure cast off is " use a plumb bob, hang a plumb bob from the muzzle straight down the center of the rib all the way past the butt stock, then measeure the portion of the stock at the butt on both sides of the string and the differance is the castoff.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use a cast on/off measuring tool.

Ed Yanchok

8. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

What is a Cast on/off measuring tool? There must be some gadget invented and available for doing all the stock measurements, but I have never seen one advertised. Does anyone know of the availablility of such a tool?
    Tom

9. Otter

Otter TS Member

The above website is for a stock measuring tool.

Luxor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

measuring cast off