1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help-home handgun/possible carry

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:
    I sent a pm to a regular poster but did not hear from him. Therefore, I am asking for help from all. A cohort at work is comfortable with guns but primarily long guns. Due to the state of the country, he now wants to buy a 9 mm handgun for the house and possibly carry. I have always had wheel guns so I could not offer much help other than I did recommend buying a brand name, stainless and used to avoid the depreciation. The main thing he emphasized and I agreed, he wanted something real dependable and reliable! What are your thoughts (semi-auto of course) and recommendations! Sorry that I can not offer more on his request! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Glock 19, Springfield XD Compact, and Smith & Wesson M&P Compact are the three that come to mind for me. Glock 26, if he wants smaller for deeper CCW.

I personally have a Para Ordnance Slim Hawg .45, and it's about the smallest .45 out there for CCW. It would do nicely for a house gun too, I believed when I bought it. Single stack magazine, so it only holds 6+1 rounds. The Warthog is a little wider, and offers 10+1.

You should get lots of opinions from folks on here who have shot a lot more handguns than I have.

Danny

3. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

I have to agree with the Glock 19

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Gunbroker.com has a couple of S&W 669 ...9mm listed. I have carried one for 20 years. Great gun, reliable, not too large, easy action and decocker. I would recommend for anyone wanting a 9mm.

JON

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Walther PPS;quality,reliability&accurate.

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Glock 19 !!! Mine has been carried for 10 years now, about 12-14K rounds now and still looks like new. I would not have any problem with Springfield XD, S&W M&P or a Sig. A lot of people give me crap about the 9mm but I do not feel "undergunned" at all with proper ammo. I have personally observed several shootings with a .40 cal and it has not impressed me at all for what it appears "on paper".

7. steele

steele TS Member

If he is not familiar with auto-loaders, I would stick with the revolver. No worry about jams, just point & shoot. Autos are absolutely great, with Glocks right at the top with several other good ones, but nothing beats the simplicity of a wheel gun. As I responded to another post earlier, being familiar with a weapon in a "hot" situation, is imperative to survival. Starting with the draw from the holster, you have to be almost "instinctive" with your action. There is no such thing as too much practice & an auto requires double the practice of a wheel gun. If he insists on an auto loader, a G-19 is not a bad choice. Butch

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When seconds count and the Cops are only minutes away make mine a Glock ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Glock, Springfield XD or Sig for home defense. The high capacity pistols are not easy to carry. I would (do) have a high capacity auto with tactical light for home defense. I would (do) carry something smaller and lighter.

Jim Skeel

My carry gun - Kahr CW40 (single stack 7 rounds)

[​IMG]

10. rocko

rocko Member

I just love my semiautos but for carry it's a wheel gun.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they need a high cap 9mm but if your friend is set on that then the Glock 17 is a good choice as are the S&W M&P and the Springfield XD.

If your friend is really interested in surviving a gun battle, a K frame S$W in .38 special or .357 with a 3" or 4" barrel is probably a better choice.

Regardless of the gun choice, some professional training and lots of practice are the best investments that can be made prior to carrying a gun for self defense.

12. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I would not recommend a semiauto unless he's a regular experienced pistol shooter. For a neophyte combo home and carry gun, I would suggest starting with a typical five or six shot revolver in 38 or 357, with at least a 4" barrel, and use 38 special. 2.5" barrel guns blasting 357 will turn him off to ever shooting it again. A 22 Ruger single six is a good gun to start with for comfortable and low cost practice. Bearcats are smaller and quite concealable as well as fun to shoot. Single action though. I keep one for practice and company to shoot. Personally, my home and carry gun is a S&W 44 6" that I use with specials, but that's just me after having about a dozen 44's over the years. I would also carry a Sig P229 in 9mm or a Colt 45acp. Both I'm familiar and comfortable with carrying both. I had a Glock 21. Hated it, hated the trigger and the design of the grip, so I never got into the whole glock thing.

13. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Glock 36. Six rounds of 45ACP power.

14. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

S&W 5906 for 9mm, often carried by police. High cap mags, stainless and reliable as can be plus you can't wear them out. Should be able to pick up a good one between $350-$450

My gun of choice for carry and home, Ruger SP101 .357 mag. I used .38 special defense ammo in place of the .357 mag. This is a short 2" barrel gun and will do a fine job just with .38 special +P defense rounds.

15. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

This is a 9 mm Kahr, cap. 7 + 1. In the same dimensions it also comes in 40 S & W and 45 acp, both 6 + 1. As recommended, I fired 200 rds. through mine before carrying it to prove reliability. No issues. Smooth action, trigger and very accurate.

Buz

P.S. I've seen new ones on Gunbroker for a little over $400 with two mags.

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view┬Ąt=PIC_0212_727x545.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

16. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Keep them coming as I am not very knowledgeable if he insists on a semi! I personally feel more comfy with wheel guns but my 7 1/2 " 44 mag redhawk and 686 with long barrels are not very handy to carry-they are my home guns and car guns! I even need to look into a proper carry gun but have not done so yet! Thanks guys, Tom Rhoads

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I like my Smith & Wesson 9mm. compact. 13 rnd capacity with staggered mag, runs flawlessly, feels good in the hand, shoots great. Small enough to carry but thicker than the Kahr posted above due to the higher capacity staggered mag.

I also carry a Kahr for hot summer wear but would not choose one for The house gun.

18. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Sig P239 in .40 cal or .357 Sig...

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For the Armed Citizen who prefers an auto pistol, the Glock is hard to beat. I carry a G-22, 40 cal, in open carry mode, the pistol at the bottom of the picture.

My choice for discreet carry is the gun at top, the G-36, 45 cal. My backup in case the G-36 is out of service (not likely), is the G-23 40 cal in the center. The full sized G-17 and mid size G-19 in 9X19 are the same size as the 40 cal versions.

For the Armed Citizen who is new to the game, I also recommend a revolver. Since he prefers the auto, the above guns are my choices based on a 50+ year journey in the world of the gun culture.

20. glenns

glenns Member

I have Springfield XDs in 9mm and 45 ACP - use them for action pistol shooting league. Very dependable, accurate, nice trigger and lot of accessories available. Also the easiest gun to field strip and clean. What more can you want?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.