1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

HELP HELP...Choke Tube Stuck

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sporting20gauge, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporting20gauge

sporting20gauge TS Member

Choke stuck, Rust. I tried soaking in liquid wrench 4 inches in a cup barrel down let soak for 6 hrs then 24 hours. had 3, 6 foot tall or better guys put there hands and strenght with choke wrench. shot 2 50 rounds put heat into barrel. I have firend who i shoot with at the club.who is a machinst/ metal waiting for results.
    [​IMG]
  2. vdt

vdt Active Member

more heat,then quench in WD several times
  3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Had the same problem with a Browning BT-99. Tried all the tricks and nothing worked. It shoots staight and breaks targets, so I decided to leave it alone. The alterative would be to send it out to a pro. HMB
  4. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

Buy some Kroil (on line everywhere or Midway), put the barrel in a couple of inches of the stuff and let it set for a couple of days. Next time use some Permatex thread release. At you auto parts store for about $3.00.
  5. John 53

John 53 TS Member

Try some AERO KROIL. Spray it, and then like the can says, "Wait a while". I have sprayed several times, and have had great results.
  6. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

Apply heat from hair dryer before/during using your wrench - also tap with a rubber or platic hammer. Good Luck.. Ed
  7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Soak it in Kroil.

Put the choke tube wrench in a vice and turn the barrel, add heat.

Wayne
  8. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Have tried all of the above advice. No luck. Just send it to Briley and have them cut it out. They know what they are doing. When you put in new chokes use extended style. That way you can make sure they are not stuck easly.
  9. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Try Marvel Mystery Oil. It is the best product for freeing rusted bolts/screws etc.
  10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

Enlighten me...how will using extended tubes instead of flush tubes insure that the tubes don't get stuck as easily?

Remove ANY choke tube periodically, clean it, grease it and check for leakage. Check the barrel for corrosion and clean it and NONE of them will get stuck. Ignore basic maintenance and ANY of them can get stuck... or are you saying that it's easier to clamp a vise-grip on an extended tube if you've let it rust in place?

Keller
  11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If Kroil doesn't do it you will have to have it cut out in a lathe. A friend had this done locally, so I have to say any competent machinist should be able to do it.

Kroil has a good deal on line now, go to Kano Labs and check it out.

I have both the aerosol and regular can. I think it was a 2 for 1 deal.

HM
  12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

Before you go out looking for Kroil... if you have or can scrounge the ingredients, try a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF. It will penetrate better than commercial mixes. Shake before using.

Keller
  13. L.A. SHOOTER

L.A. SHOOTER TS Member

If you do not care about destruction of choke tube? Purchase a plumbers carbide broken pipe inside extractor. [ looks like a left hand fluted cone with a squre drive end ] Lock the extractor into a vise square end down, place choke over extractor and tap other end of barrel with rubber mallet. Heat with a hot air gun [ not hair drier ]. When metal is hot, quench with ice water. The rapid contraction of the disimilar metals should break the thread bind. Turn the barrel off of the choke tube. You can make a barrel turning wrench with two 2 x 4 pieces about a foot long, drill through both boards one inch from each end, use 4 inch bolts and nuts to clamp to barrel. hope this helps. Randy
  14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Wayneo has it right. That is what the makers told me when a Seminole thin-wall got stuck. I ruined a choke wrench and bent several quarters trying to get it out. I couldn't believe how easily it came out when I put the wrench in the vise and turned the barrels.
  15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Use NEVER SIEZE as a lube and never have that problem again.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

Use nickel anti-seize (not just a mix containing some nickel) if the choke tubes are stainless steel. That's what it's made for.

Keller
  17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If Kroil, or Eds Red won't loosen it, it's welded in....
  18. Berettawizz

Berettawizz TS Member

I have a special tool I designed and made and I remove broken busted and rusted chokes regularly and it takes me about 15 minutes to get them out. No soaking or special lubes required. So if you need a 24hr turn around let me know, costs $35.00 per barrel plus shipping. Dan @ 410/688-1514 Sporting Shotgun Services.
  19. TONYIII

TONYIII TS Member

Send it to Mike Orlen, he got one out for me after I bought a gun from a gentleman that said he didnt know it was stuck. It ran 45 bucks shipped back to me, got it back within a week.
  20. Traders

Traders Member

unknown1--What's ATF? You can send me a PM if that's more appropriate.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.