1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help - gun opens upon shooting top barrel of o/u

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by samthompson, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samthompson

samthompson Banned User Banned

took my newly aquired beretta 682 to the range today... shot the top single <no problem>, shot bottom-barrel-first doubles with the o/u <no problem>, shot singles with the bottom barrel of the o/u <no problem>, shot singles with the top barrel of the o/u << BIG PROBLEM! GUN OPENS AFTER SHOT >>

Any idea what the problem could be??

Upon first thought I thought it might be the locking bolt ((obvious issue)) but in talking with a gunsmith since this ONLY happens with the o/u and not the top single he was thinking maybe a weak top lever spring ((( btw - top lever is exactly centered when gun is closed ))).

Thoughts???

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to take it to gunsmith and have him fix it. Sounds like it needs a rebuild and a new lever spring. Sorry I can't recommend a good smith for Beretta's. Good Luck with it and break em all Jeff

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If the top lever is @ center, its time for new locking lugs and a top lever spring. Send it to coles.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

does it pop open during 2nd shots of doubles?

and you have no problems with the top single, correct?

Was it a true combo, or did someone pick up a used o/u and tossed it on without fitting.

5. samthompson

samthompson Banned User Banned

BigM -

it does _not_ pop open during 2nd shot of doubles.

I have _no_ problem with top single.

It is a true combo (serial numbers all match).

After talking to a gunsmith over the phone that showed the top lever to the right of center with the o/u barrels on and just past center with no barrels on. as such he does not think it is locking bolt but instead a weak top lever spring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bottom barrel for skeet singles

my gun opens up after shot