1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help: Gun Beat Me in the Cheek

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sako2115, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Hi,

Perhaps TitaniumCole in particular knows the answer. Yesterday, after shooting about 200 rounds with my KX-5 and PFS stock, I came home and was sore at the right cheekbone. I have no idea why...I must have some kind of setting wrong or technique wrong; the comb is the latest plastic kind. Help is appreciated; if this continues, it's back to the factory stock.

I think I set something "wrong" that is related to the configuration of the PFS comb...again, I am running the latest type of comb, the plastic one.

Thanks in advance...shooters?

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You can have a gun that is set up and fits you perfectly, and the best recoil device that's made, and still get a sore cheekbone. A lot depends on how much padding (flesh) you have, and where and how hard the comb is contacting your cheek.
    I experienced the same thing with my soft-touch and had to put a 1/8" cheekeze pad on the comb. You may need a soft comb as well.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

sako2115, did the KX smack you in the face with the original wood as well? PBB is most likely correct with the need for more pitch. It could be several other factors but this is a good place to start. Get back here if the pitch spacers don't resolve the issue and I and others Iam sure will try to help.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lots of things to try. Pitch, loosen the Belleville Washers, make sure the comb is parallel or slightly lower in the front, and the cheek piece. The new narrow cheek piece is best for shooters with a very full face. The old style larger cheek piece may be best for you if you have a thin face.

Pat Ireland

5. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

If it has an adjustable comb,it sounds like it is too high for you,might try lowering it a bit,if it doesnt then maybe it was made too high for you .

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

SAKO - somehow, I feel I have missed something. Why did you go with a PFS? Did the original stock hurt you too? If the old stock hurt, what did you try before getting a PFS? If the old stock did not hurt you, what were you trying to accomplish with a PFS? If the old stock did not hurt, set the PFS up just like the original and go from there. Don't try to change everything at once - just gets confusing.

7. butcher

butcher Member

Last year every gun that previously didn't hurt my cheek started opening and bruising my cheek.When I was down at wenig they had me place my index finger under my cheek bone like when mounting a gun then they said to hold it still and tilt your head down. You will instantly feel the pressure mounting when doing it. They suggested keeping your face up without tilting down to keep the pressure off your cheek. I went home and tried it and it solved the problem. Keep your head more erect and take a higher mount. It worked for me.

8. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

have you put on weight since then?if so the height your stock was at may be too high for you now???

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

PerazziBigBore- Does not the gun recoil straight back until it meets resistance (shoulder) and then rise? If this is true, the washer system would lengthen the rearward pressure curve and apply a lower pressure over a longer time to the cheek.

Pat Ireland

10. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Hi and thanks to all who helped me here. I think I found the problem. 1. The factory adj. stock shipped with the KX-5 never hurt me. 2. When shooting Friday, the metal rod that holds the cheekpiece assembly came loose at the butt. I continued to shoot the round (cause I'm cheap) after putting cheek piece in place before each shot. I was blase' enough not to bring tools to the range, had to go borrow allen wrenches and blue locktight after finishing my round. 3. Noticed that after I tightened all up, when I got home, the front of cheek piece had less cast off than the rear. 4. I need cast off; when I got home, I changed to the hangar that holds the cheekpiece that allows for more cast off. I may have been "cheeking" the gun with too much pressure. I had less cast off than on the original stock with the first configuration. 5. I also raised the rear of the comb in relationship to the front.

Going on vacation, will try her out in a couple of weeks. It takes only one "rap" to cause a bruise. If I continue to have problems, it's back to the factory stock or look for the wooden cheekpiece available for the PFS....

Thanks again to all; any further advice is much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

g square soft touch cheekeze