1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Gotta go to Chicago. Safe hotel?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Help, I gotta be in Chicago, Tuesday AM for business. It has been a while since I've been in that hell hole. Just wondering if the advice from years back - "don't go south of the Chicago river" still apply. Don't know if I should look for a room downtown or fight the traffic and just stay out by O'Hara?

Is the Navy Pier area North to the Hancock tower still considered safe?

Damn shame I can't legally pack.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Commute.

Seriously.

3. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I go 100 miles out of the way just to stay put of that hellhole.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

coyote, I saw that hotel (Congress Plaza) on expedia, was thinking about giving it a try but it is south of the river. I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency (they have rooms) on the river years ago, but the valet parking hoods there po-ed me. They think they are God and they are when it comes to your vehicle.

buzzy, I thought about doing that, but then I would have to fight my way not only through Chitown, but Gary and E Chicago too. It might be better to stay in the belly of the beast. LOL

Do they still have the beer garden out on the Navy Pier? I might just drive up Monday night and stay.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

coyote, I see you mentioned staying east of O'Hare. Is there something wrong with west of O'Hare? Isn't that all suburbs? Have they gone to hell too?

6. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hampton Inn at Hoffman Estates. Plus, Cabela's is just down the road about 3 miles if you have time.

Travel safe.

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks. I definitely don't want to wander into Trayvon's hood.

Aurora? Isn't that where Wayne and Garth (Wayne's World) reside?

8. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Bisi,

I think you and many of the responders are paranoid. While I don't live there in regards to safety, Chicago is no different than any other big city. I travel there all of the time and have never been threatened or even felt uncomfortable. With few exceptions, bad things happen in bad neighborhoods and that's true all over the world.

In my case, when I travel on business, I alway try to get to know the city, at least a little bit. So, I always take public transportation when I can and during daylight hours when I know where I am going. It's the best way to see the city and its people. Chicagoans are very helpful. If you were to stand on a street corner in downtown Chicago trying to read a street map, you will have people coming up to you to offer help. You can alway ask the desk clerks in the hotel for travel and restaurant information.

If you don't know any city, stay in the business/tourist areas. For Chicago that means the downtown area. Congress Plaza is a good suggestion. It is not the most expensive, is well located close to many good restaurants and a very pleasant walk to some of the best museums in the world and that includes an outstanding library devoted to military issues. The Art Institute has or at least had one of the finest collections of really old, beautiful firearms. If you are interested you can call them and see if the guns are still on display. I didn't see them the last time I was there.

Don't stay at Ohare unless you plan on watching a lot of TV. It's such a waste to go to a city and never really go there. In my experience, Chicago is one of the most interesting big cities in the US.

9. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

coyote1234, when are you going to let Bisi in on your little joke? Aurora and the Fox River? Seriously? Were all of the corn fields out there a little too much for you?

Bisi, if you can't find a nice hotel in downtown Chicago you've got some serious problems. Whomever gave you the advice of staying north of the river for safety must have been brilliant. There are really nice areas up there like Cabrini Green (OK, it's not there anymore, but is was for decades).

--Dan

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Chicago could learn something from Aurora. Aurora has had a specific goal of reducing murders in their city and they've done it - down to the count of zero per year. My friend is a councilman - example: they targeted a specific rental home as an issue with 90+ calls for city services in a single year. They approached the owner and offered him a competitive price, bought it, razed it and gave the land to the neighbors. Drove by the property the other day and there was a large neighborhood picnic going on there. The well behaved citizens now love their city even more. Very positive.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Just avoid contact with the criminals. Especially the police.

-Gary

12. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Anywhere downtown and Navy Pier is safe. Just avoid the South Side and if you want to go to a White Sox game, take a cab then after take a cab or mass transit. Enjoy.

blade819 (in the neighborhood now)