1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help getting stock loose

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

I have a browning citori with a screw head stock bolt that I can't break loose. Any suggestions?

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I suggest you don't bugger up the screw slot. I would use a milling machine or drill press to break it loose.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

don't use a screwdriver that isn't parallel sided.

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I just went thru this same issue with a Citori. Finally, I sprayed a liberal amount of WD 40 down the hole and let the gun sit, stock up, for a couple of days. When I next tried, it came loose.

JON

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jerry---I know exactly what your saying. I saw a guy(no wasn't me) bust the side of his stock out using the 'ole Craftsman mechanics screwdriver on his stock. I tried to offer some advice but he knew best. I'm sure a many have used a plain 'ole screwdriver sucessfully but your time is coming when it slips to one side.---Matt

6. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Have busted the side out of model 12 the same way...always use a piece of metal conduit pipe slide over bolt head..Hard Lesson Learned

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like to wrap the shaft of the screw driver in two places with masking tape. This helps keep the shaft and blade lined up with the hole in the stock and the screw slot. Also if you use a screw driver with a square shaft you can use a wrench to apply the force needed to break it loose. HMB

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Great ideas on preventing the break out. When my friend did this on his Browning i didn't know if i should laugh or puke. Its sickening to see it happen. I had only warned him because a gunsmith had once warned me it could happen.

Matt

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If the screw won't come loose holding the screwdriver put the receiver in a vise on a drill press. Put a long shank srewdriver in the chuck, bring the screwdriver down and lock it in place against the screw. Use a wrench like hmb described and smack the wrench with a hammer to break it loose. This keeps the screwdriver in place against he screw. A milling machine is more rigid and works better but most of us don't have one in the garage.

10. porky

porky TS Member

I have found using a screwdriver minus the handle in my 18 volt portable drill with the brake set on about the middle number did a great deal in loosing any screw. The vibration or shock of the drill loosened the screws in no time.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Most bike shops have a 3/8" drive impact wrench.. Grinding the head of a 3/8" extention..a few taps with a small hammer will start the bolt moving.. Old Frank Chambers used one forever on everything.. Frank worked on alot of duck blind guns.. where salt water took its toll.. This made life easy..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.