1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP FROM YOU NEW YORK CITY GUYS & GALS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WWB, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

Just returned to Co from a Great tour of NY city. Geez what a good time. Saw all the tourist stuff, it rained and blew hard the whole time--had a ball! What a wonderful city. Ate at some famous places & one of them was Ben's I think. A jewish resturant that had Matzo [sp?] ball soup and Pastrami sandwiches. It was the best by far even beating out "Tavern on the Green"! My request--does anyone have a recipe for that soup, one that tastes like theirs did?
    Thanks all
    Bill

2. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

This is as good a recipe for matzo ball soup as any:

http://www.blacktable.com/gillin040407.htm

The recipe is a little long and very funny, but the instructions are correct and will yield some very good soup.

The Yiddish translations in the recipe are wrong on a few counts, but don't let that bother you. The food is good, and the translation errors don't relate to the recipe.

I should mention that getting really good matzo ball soup usually requires finding a Jewish grandmother (a "bubbe", not to be confused with "Bubba" - they are very different). This recipe is a close approximation.

Ted K.

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I love Matzo ball soup!

One way to go is just get a package of Manischewitz matzo mix. There's a recipe on the box for a very simple but delicious soup.

4. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

If you call Ben's,tell them how MUCH you loved their soup,AND you are from out of town; they will give you their receipe
    GAZ

5. WWB

WWB Member

TO; K-GUNGUY / handlepuller / TED K

Thanks guys 3 great suggestions and we are going to use all of them!
    I called Ben's--they are sending it to me via email--boy you just
    wait till this weekend and see what I will be slurping during
    football!
    Thank you again fellas............
    Bill

6. A23B

A23B TS Member

This is as great a recipe for matzo ball soup.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bill,

They didn't tell you that you need authentic New York Water for the recipe to work. Same applies to New York Pizza and Bagels. :) The food is about the ONLY thing I miss about New York, except for family and friends.

8. WWB

WWB Member

Hi Ed and Quack Shot--

Ed that recipe is great and a ton of fun to read......I'll try that one also.
    Quack--just 4 dys in NY but man when the wife and I hit Colo we must have each drank 2 qts of our good Rocky Mtn water.........so you may have a valid point..
    never thought about all those chemicals having a part to play in the taste.
    Thanks for the help guys-----how long til spring and we can start shooting again??
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.