1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help from old timers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SPACE GUN, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I am in the process of restoring an old western hand pull trap machine. I have some old pictures but I need to know what the handle that released the target was made of, steel pipe or wood handle or maybe both? Any idea how tall they were? maybe 4 or 5 foot? Also anyone know what year they quit using them at the grand. I think they were used as late as the mid 1950's

2. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Gary, I still have a trap and puller with handle in the barn,I will measure tommorrow. The Clyne pullers replaced the pull handles at the Grand in 1948. If you ever find the correct paint color for the old western trap let me know. Paul Baker

3. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

One more thing, I am not an actual old timer. Just been around trapshooting along time. LOL!!

4. Shawn

Shawn Member

The first trap I loaded was a hand pull. It had a steel pipe
    I was shorter then but I think it was about 5 feet long.
    As a twelve year old you had to put you whole body into it to cock the trap.
    For a grownup it was just your arm and shoulder.

I don't think a wooden handle would stand up to the use.

shawn

5. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Paul,
    I think you are the gentleman I got the trap from. If you are from Middletown Ohio and traded it to a guy at the Ohio State shoot this year? What is a clyne puller? Is it possible the correct color ia hunter green? I took mine to a auto paint shop and that is what he matched it with, however I am not sure it hasn't be repainted but the paint guy did not think so.

6. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Thanks Shawn that makes sense, the pictures I have shows it coming up to the arm pits and shoulders of the puller so I was thinking 4 to 5 feet. I am thinking now 5 feet.

7. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Gary, yes I sold you the trap. Lots of info on the Clyne puller on the ATA Hall of Fame. Basically it was an electric add on that modified the existing pull traps like you have. The Clyne brothers ran Camp Troy Gun Club and invented the electric puller. Good to hear from you, Paul

8. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Gary, do a search on here for trapshooting 1926. There is a video of shooting and in background you can see the boy pulling working the handle. If you can't find it let me know and I'll try and help you.

9. trench12

trench12 TS Member

looks like steel tubing or maybe cast to me- hope this helps TG

10. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Picture of an old trap and a Clyne Puller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Hey everyone thanks for all the help with pictures to boot! I was looking at the century of trapshooting book that was sold in Vandalia when the grand was moving, it states 1950 was the first year electric traps were used at the grand. I do however have another question. The trap machine I have does not have a way to throw angles! Does anyone know the story on that? I saw in the above picture the ones there have a plate with notches on the bottom that I assume makes the trap osalate, mine does not have that plate it just mounted with 3 bolts solid. Anyone have any idea's?

12. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

I believe the traps at Vandalia were modified with the Clyne and then they started changing them out in early 50's with the actual electric traps. My handle in the barn is 4' from the pivot to the end of handle. Yours may be a skeet trap that did not swivel, just guessing.

13. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

Carey, OH still use two hand pulls. they will have a shot coming up I think it is in Nov. Henry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.