1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help from Model 12 Experts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, Aug 6, 2013.

1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

May I ask if removing the forearm of a Model 12 trap is something that can be done on my own instead of taking it to a gunsmith? If so may I ask how to do it and if it would require a special tool(s)?
    Thanks.
    JM

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

To do it right you need a few proper fitting tools.

Unless you have a set of Gunsmith screwdrivers, (and they might have to be ground to fit), and a fore-end wrench you're not going to get good results.

You will bugger up screws and the end nut. Also, you might have to sand the end of the fore-arm if you are replacing the nut or putting a new one on. This lines up the notches in the proper position.

I keep a set of tools for Mod. 12's only. Don't use them much, but sure come in handy.

Regards....Gerald

3. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

If you have doubts, and you value your gun, please take it to someone.

Even with the proper tools, I have seem fore-end nuts that were extremely tight, and one that would not come loose at all.

Some don't even know how to properly take down a model 12, let alone work on it.

I'm still learning myself.

4. Tim Earney

Tim Earney Member

I have owned, shot, and repaired many Model 12s in the past 45 years. If you don't have the proper tools and know the sequence, removing the forearm is best left to a knowledgeable person. I have also experienced several where the forearm was almost welded in place by years of old dried oil. These required being soaked in P oil for several days before they came loose. I would advise taking it to a competent gunsmith.

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you who responded. Will send the gun to a professional. JM