1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help from Jim F or maybe Whiz

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WWB, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

Jim F / Whiz;
    I think one of you two posted a long time back, a series of pictures showing gun and eye holding points --it did it for every trap station. I had it on my documents list but caught the bad bug and they had to reformat the PC--needless to say, this is only one of the many things I lost........
    If my memory is correct and it was one of you would you please send me another copy or put in on this site? {maybe others would enjoy or use it also}
    Or any of you guys who might read this & have a copy please send or post. Thanks all. By the way--have shot 3X in a tee shirt so far...
    Now if we could just stop the wind and start the rain I'd be happy.
    Thanks all.
    Bill

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bill, check your email. Hap

3. WWB

WWB Member

Got it Hap--Thank you very much.
    Bill

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Click my Website URL aobve and you can download and print them.

Whiz

5. Cray

Cray Member

Whiz, I received the Phil Kiner video last week. He strongly disagrees with your post 5 holding point. He states to hold on the corner and NOT out past the right corner. I just started viewing it Sat. night. A lot of info. to digest. Now I know why other shooters stated that you have to view it several times. Just my two cents! Cray

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Cray: Firstly, if you hold on the house, (1) you are too low, and (2) you are playing catch-up.

What works for one may not work for another. Are you a one-eyed shooter? If so, you probably should hold on the house.

These photos are also in agreement with the video by D. Lee Braun and Dick Baldwin on "Trapshooting with the Remington Pros."

Do what you want, matters not to me.

I've been a 27 yarder for well over 35 years and the above works for me. I also think that if you hold on the house you can posibly become a pretty good shooter. Problem is with me, pretty good is not good enough, so I have not always listened to every piece of advice given. The old addage about "the figure 8" was a myth that I never believed either. Foot stance is very important too, in my estimation. Did Kiner talk about that with you?

Phil is a friend of mine, but I don't alwyas agree with everyone. Try things and see what works best for you. Also, a LOT is in the eyes. I had 20-10 vision with glasses and I am sure that is an asset which allows me to shoot damn quick.

These PowerPoints were done by a professional shooter whose whole life is teaching shooting here at in the UK. Take them for what you think they are worth.

WW

7. Cray

Cray Member

Whiz: I am a two-eyed shooter. I also hold high and to the right on post five.
    I believe Harlan also says to hold high and to the right, that's why I was surprised to hear Phil say he holds on the house and on the corner. I agree, one has to find what works for you. Thanks for your reply. Cray
    PS: I own a PW and appreciate the info you report.

8. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

We all know that different "great" shooters have different holds. All this proves is that different holds work, that there is no universal "right" hold. You should, I believe try different holds, with the following in mind. If you want to consistently shoot great scores, each shot must be easy. If your hold makes a shot hard you need to experiment, you need to find a hold that makes it easier. If you can't find that gun hold, something else needs to change, how you hold the gun, the height of the bead in your eye, point of impact etc. That is what makes this game so fun. If it were a recipe that you could follow and shoot 100's all the time, what fun would that be? How many shooter on this site keep hoping to find that "holy grail" in reloading recipes, point of impact, color of lens, coke tube or shot size. We need to do the work, find out what works for us, and not believe that there is a correct answer, only answers that work for us. This is not to say that discussions about 1 oz. vs. 1 1/8 are not fun or thought provoking, only that what works for one shooter may not work for another.
    Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.