1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help from all you trollers, a real fishing ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I got out of Great Lakes trolling about 5 years ago after doing it for about 25 years. Sold the boat but kept all my gear that's been stored in the garage. It's in great shape and was of fair quality. (Cannon elect. Mini-Mags 36" arms (2) with swivel bases and dual rod holders) 8' Shakespeare Ugly Sticks w/ Diawa 47H reels (4), 10' Browning Stila-Flex w/ Diawa 47LC (1), four tackle boxes with 100 spoons and 50 J Plugs along with an assortment of other fishing stuff like Dodgers, Squids, Cow-bells etc.
    Anyway, I have someone who wants to buy the whole mess. My question is how many pennies on the dollar is good used fishing equipment worth ?

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Somebody has to have an opinion on this, they have on everything else.

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Id say 60% or less, thats due to my own selling of good equipment and buying from others......Id say 99% of my purchases were for pennies on the buck for used equipment....unlike firearms which goes the other way.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Your downriggers should sell good, stand by to be hosed on the rest.

HM

5. DJM

DJM Member

I doubt that you can beat E-bay for the best price on your goods. IMO that will always be true when selling goods such as these that appeal to only a small segment of the population. You can also search completed auctions on your items to get a very good idea of how much they will sell for. With that information you can also set a price for the sale of the entire lot.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Sell it all as a package and dont let a seller cherry pick what he wants and leaves you with the junk.

Now in regards to how much to sell it for the question that first needs to be answered is how much enjoyment did you get from the gear and how much was that enjoyment worth to you. Now take that enjoyment and subtract that from the value of the equipment when purchased and that should give you a good asking price.

Now just as a thought and if you really had a good time all threw those 25 years of fishing you will probably find that you gained far more enjoyment value then the original value of the gear ... you still though have though sell it for something so just sell it for what you would be happy with getting for it.

You could also think of how much enjoyment the next owner will get from the gear and factor that into the deal as well.

Heck ... just tell the guy $500 and its all his as long as he promises to enjoy it.

7. halfmile

the Cannon Mag-10 with single rod holder goes for around 450 if on sale.

I don't know how the mini mag compares but 2 of these are 900 bucks.

Half price would be 450.

better check ebay.

HM

8. halfmile

Here's a pair of mini's for 450, sans rodholders. (available at Bass Pro)

Newbius - 500 is a little light here.

What you have invested is probably around 2500 bucks at least. Plugs and spoons are off the wall lately like everything.

I guess you need to figure how good a deal you want to give your buyer. Sound him out for an offer and go from there.

I know used stuff goes cheap, but lake fishing stuff isn't under every bush. My kid had a Cruisers Barnegat 23 foot with all that stuff, and the radios, loran, etc and wall to wall lures hanging on the gunnels. He paid 200 each for electrics and thought he stole them. I think he's out of the boat now, and I'm afraid to ask him how he came out.

HM

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Doda is in the ball park. I run a Sporting goods store and buy and sell a lot of used equip and for the most part 50 pct is about right in like new condition. I have bought downriggers for thirty dollars but that is the exception. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.