1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help from all you SKEETERS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

My wife was talked into shooting in a womens skeet league this summer.
    She has only shot trap and uses a BT99 for that.
    What would be a good SKEET gun (12ga.?? ) for a lady shooter. I don't think
    I'll have to worry about getting different gauge tubes, just a good basic skeet gun.

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

A basic Browning or Beretta O/U is usually good value in Skeet guns. If cost is an issue, a Remington 1100 LT-20 is also a good choice.

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I prefer an O/U as opposed to a semi because I hate picking up shells. Sounds silly but it sure breaks your concentration and is an annoyance. You know the good ones, Browning, Beretta, Caesar Guerini, Krieghoff, Perazzi and others. Barrel 26 to 28 inch would be good. A 12 ga would be a good choice especially if you re-load, because you make some pretty soft shooters for her and cut the lead to 3/4 oz if you want. If she gets real serious you can tube it.

all the best,
    john

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The Beretta autos in 28" barrel lengths and skeet choke is quite popular with the ladies - heck a lot of testosterone laden fellers too. It's that or the O/U for a little more cash....Bob Dodd

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Oh, and basically, I agree with John about chucking shells all over the field but it's not all that troublesome to collect your shells after a practice round or league event....Bob Dodd

6. mark54

mark54 Member

Almost any shotgun that will fire 2 quick shots & has cylinder or skeet choke. Use 8.5 or 9 shot. That will get you started.
    Mark54 in Lititz

7. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Many of the skeeters I know shoot a twenty gauge in the 12 gauge events so she would be well served by a twenty gauge of her choice.

ed.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sounds like you only load 12 guage. I would use a one ounce 12 guage load, put it in the cheapie shells (Federal and Estate) that can be gotten free everywhere. I use a 12S0 or CB clone with 18.0 of Titewad.

1100 26 inch (maybe 28) with screw chokes in case you want to do sporties sometime.

A Beretta will cost more, and also be light in front which contributes to whippiness. So another 50 bucks for a barrel weight.

Using 20 in the 12 is done, but mostly by a lot of experienced 4 gun shooters.

The most important part is to have a gun that fits.

Remington has a good PDF on the fundamentals on their website.

Fun with a gun, don't turn it down.

HM

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Any chance you have an 1100 trapgun? With a skeet barrel they make a great skeet gun. Personally that combo points better for me than an 1100 skeetgun.

I'd guess a 39x would work too.

20 gauge auto might be best. A light 20 gauge o/u can have brutal recoil.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Get Todd Bender's "Insights to Championship Skeet" DVD. It is a great intro to skeet, and their use of the eye-cam shows the sight picture very well.

Tim

11. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

jbmi:

Ok a lot are suggesting to use a 20 gauge but as in your first post you said she has been shooting a BT-99 in Trap and you said 12 gauge, also so since it is a leauge shoot I bet the ladies won't shoot all of the gauge's im sure it will be only 12 gauge or just one class and shoot what you want.

I like halfmile's post.

Ok on the gun since she shoot's a BT-99 it is bound to kick some and im sure she could handle any auto or over and under since Skeet is a more flatter shooting game im sure you are some friends has plenty of field grade guns to try out myself I never liked the front end weight of the 1100's and the beretta's was always lighter and kicked the same.

But maybe borrow an Over and Under of some type and shoot the light loads in it.

Foghorn220

12. twopipe

twopipe Member

2 things I learned at the Mayes clinic I took in Tulsa are:

the gun needs to be 9 lbs

the gun needs to shoot 20 ga ammo

and that was the best "gun advice" I ever got !

13. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

What about a Rem 1100 Skeet in 28 Gauge? I'm going to be selling mine shortly.
    It has a 26" barrel, Briley choked, trigger work, extra youth/ladies stock.
    Beutiful gauge, hardly any recoil.
    Dave T.

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

dave what are you asking for the gun?

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I thought he asked for a 12 gauge in the first post as I said it seems like she is already shooting a 12 gauge in trap since it is a BT-99 .

Fog

16. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Shooting Jack: I'm asking $650.00 or best offer plus shipping, for it. Honestly I have more than that into it but thats my fault. I would send you pictures if you are interested. Dave T.

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

The easy simple answer to your question is what 12ga or 20ga do you already own that is capable of 2 shots and which gun is she comfortable with ... that will answer your question.

Now if you dont currently own anything that fits the bill and are looking at purchasing I would strongly suggest either an O/U or semi-auto in 12ga with 28" barrels. 30" barrels can be nice but are at times a little long to swing but let her and you try the gun and see what you think. Use skeet or cylinder choke tubes and some #8 or #9 shot.

If you get an O/U and want to do the best to reduce recoil get some 2-3/4dram powder loads with 1oz of shot. That should be more than enough for skeet and help reduce the felt recoil of an O/U.

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I agree with Jim Miller....in a league I assume that they are not shooting all four gauges. Although she may be happy with a 12 ga auto, I think a 20 ga auto will do absolutely fine also.

I would go the auto route (and buy one used) ...if she gets the skeet bug, then go for an OU next year with a tube set...you can always sell the auto but I suspect she will want to keep it.

Cheers

Stephen

19. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I take it she does not shoot trap doubles. Have her pick out an O/U for trap doubles. Just make sure that it has choke tubes, Skeet and Skeet choke will keep it simple.

I like IC for the bottom barrel and Skeet for the top when shooting 1 oz of #8. Skeet choke on the bottom and Cylinder on the top when shooting 1 1/8 oz of #8. I would reload #9 shot but I don't shoot much skeet and having a stock pile of #8 and 7 1/2 takes up enough room.

Jason

20. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Hey Skeeters!
    Do you reload much? Have you found out the price of shot has sky rocketed?
    Would you like to make your own shot for about $3.00 a bag? Its as good as factory shot. I have been shooting my own shot for years and I haven't had a problem. Email me your inquiries and I will show you what the machine looks like, prices ,etc.
    Ellen O'Connor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.